On the rocks or straight up?

TideNumOne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am setting up my first saltwater tank (after lots of freshwater over the last 40 years)...and will be doing it with a BioCube LED 32 Gallon.

My question tonight is about setting up the rocks:
  • Should I use “egg creates” under the rocks or place them directly on the glass?
  • Should I put the rocks in first and then the sand or the sand then the rocks?
Thank you,
Jonathan

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I just put down my substrate and sit rocks on top of that..

CC39D25E-8A89-4285-97C5-D51984FDB4BB.gif

BootyPup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, and welcome to the forum! The BioCube 32 is a nice choice to start, I personally started with the BioCube 29.
Now, as @saltyfilmfolks said, people do both, but when I setup my tank, I went with what @Retro Reefer said and I put my sand in, then my rocks, and pushed them down into the sand, mainly because I have a pistol shrimp and I knew I wanted one so I decided to make the rockwork stable.

OP
OP
T

TideNumOne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that was my biggest concern, the pancake fish. Is there a reason not to use the egg crate? For under $20 if their is any benefit, I would think it would be worth the effort.

BootyPup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that was my biggest concern, the pancake fish. Is there a reason not to use the egg crate? For under $20 if their is any benefit, I would think it would be worth the effort.
I mean, the only negative I could think is perhaps some kind of fish, inverts or shrimp could get stuck in or around it if they happen to inhabit that area. But it is a far fetched idea, and plenty of people use egg crate with no problems.
If you think it is the right choice, go for it!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make more interesting aqua scapes if you use it. Large flat base basically. I actually have a combo.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not from experience as I've never used it, just advice and reasoning I've read in this forum. Some say that the egg crate can hold a lot of detritus, therefore causing issues in the tank. I'm sure there are many that have used it with no ill effects. Personally, I glue/epoxy all my rocks for stability, put them in the tank and then add sand. I push the sand around the base of the rocks, flow and inhabitants do the rest getting it into the nooks and crannies.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank choice, we run one as well. I placed the sand in first and worked the rock down to the bottom. After doing that I have to agree with everyone, rock first then sand. To this day the rock doesn't seem to stable sitting on the sand.

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out my BioCube 32 on my build thread below and I didn't use egg create under mine and I put sand in then my rock. I also only have 2 rocks glue only because their set in a weird way. I wanted to be able to move them if I needed or take them out if I ever need to.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R... You will have plenty of help and support with that BioCube here, very popular Nano tank on r2r forums.

Agree with everything above. That's the beauty of this hobby, so many ways to do it and its all up to u.

Get a Build thread started so we can follow along with your progress!
Best of luck!

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put rock first on both ways, I think your are better off without using egg crate, I am worried that it will become a dead zone where detritus may start to accumulate.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back