Once a nipper always a nipper? Filefish issues.

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just put my filefish from QT into my DT and within an hour he had made rounds nipping at everything... Rocks, zoas, palys, Duncans, chalice... nothing was safe! I was sure to feed him well before I made the transfer. I'm wondering if anyone has had a fish like this and given them a chance. Is he just feeling out his new surroundings or will all my corals be shredded by the weekend?

Also, should I pull out and dip the corals that have been nipped? If so, any suggestions on if I should use something other than iodine? I only have seachem's dip.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 filefish in one tank and 2 in another, they nip at a few things but never damage anything to it's death. I'd give it a few weeks and watch it. Note: mine never spent time in sump they were put in tank(s) to eliminate aiptasia and they were like lawnmowers. I let aiptasia grow in sumps and couple times a month scrape a few out and drop in tank to keep filefish interested.

OP
OP
TedsReef

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 filefish in one tank and 2 in another, they nip at a few things but never damage anything to it's death. I'd give it a few weeks and watch it. Note: mine never spent time in sump they were put in tank(s) to eliminate aiptasia and they were like lawnmowers. I let aiptasia grow in sumps and couple times a month scrape a few out and drop in tank to keep filefish interested.
Thanks. I'll turn a blind eye and keep my fingers crossed. I've literally been sitting next to my tank since I put him in knocking on the glass and scolding him like a dog every time he nips haha... my Duncans already have a few tentacles missing on each of them ;Blackeye

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect he's just checking out the new "digs". Mine are all ORA bred and they seem to be attracted to anything with long flowing polyps IE: torches, duncans etc but they never damage them.

OP
OP
TedsReef

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect he's just checking out the new "digs". Mine are all ORA bred and they seem to be attracted to anything with long flowing polyps IE: torches, duncans etc but they never damage them.
Yeah mine is ORA too. He's definitely torn off Duncan tentacles and ripped holes in zoas. Hopefully he knocks it off soon. Do you have males and females? Mine is male, wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back