ONE heavy feeding or multiple light feedings for fish? WHY?

How much do you feed your fish daily?

• One heavy feeding

Votes: 196 27.3%
  • One light feeding

Votes: 83 11.5%
  • Multiple heavy feedings

Votes: 69 9.6%
  • Multiple light feedings

Votes: 371 51.6%

• Total voters

Slcwinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually 2 light feedings on weekdays … 3 on weekends and holidays! :) This might be another poll topic … but I throw Vortechs into feed mode and the fish all get into position for the feeding … I'm wondering how many bother to "reduce" pumps for feeding or just pour the goodies in at regular flow?
I turn off my return pump so food doesn't float down the overflow but I leave my flow pumps on their regular schedule. The fish enjoy chasing the food and it never settles . Also I feed a variety of different frozen Hikari 2x daily

edorama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually 2 light feedings on weekdays … 3 on weekends and holidays! :) This might be another poll topic … but I throw Vortechs into feed mode and the fish all get into position for the feeding … I'm wondering how many bother to "reduce" pumps for feeding or just pour the goodies in at regular flow?
I turn all pumps and wave makers off to feed.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2, 3 or 4 times a day, do people not work?? How is this possible? I am a shift worker working 14 hour days including travel. Only a few shifts in a row on these days I would only be able to feed at 5am and 8pm....??? Obviously on my days off I have time to feed whenever. I know there is no right or wrong but what is the general guideline.. Sorry might be a silly question (handsup for first time reefer)
:oops:
Thanks

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2, 3 or 4 times a day, do people not work?? How is this possible? I am a shift worker working 14 hour days including travel. Only a few shifts in a row on these days I would only be able to feed at 5am and 8pm....??? Obviously on my days off I have time to feed whenever. I know there is no right or wrong but what is the general guideline.. Sorry might be a silly question (handsup for first time reefer)
:oops:
Thanks
My auto feeder goes off 3 times a day, I’m also a shift worker, 14 hour days 14 days straight on the road

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon ATO tank and then the RODI is connected to it and has optical sensors that the apex controls
Oh wow that's handy having such a large tank. I have a 220L barrel for RO water but cant hook it to the tank. Well I could but would be ugly sitting next to tank. (Big brown poo color barrel.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to feed light and more frequent. I feel the fish only consume a certain amount of food at one time and anything left gets wasted. If you have a good healthy DSB or CUC, wasted food will be consumed. If not, a lot of it ends up contributing to elevated nutrient levels. I want my levels to be stable across the board so controlled feeding makes more sense for me. We all know stability is key.

There are some exceptions. One exception is a healthy mature tank that has rapid growth. You can throw a lot at a tank like that and it will handle it.

It also depends on what your style of reefing is. If you have a tank full of Acropora you are likely interested in colors and everything will be more controlled. If you have a softy tank you probably don't care as much about tight levels. If your export game is on point, then you may welcome excess food. There's too many variables to list.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That video above doesn't do his Green Gigantea justice. Check it out:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed once a day with flake food - and once a day with frozen. The fish pick on the rock, etc the rest of the day. I am in the camp suggesting one feeding is enough as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back