One or two clownfishes?

Nathalie23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, if you buy a pair of bonded clownfish will they breed and have babies? My first saltwater fish ever is gonna be a clownfish/a clownfish pair. But I dont want them to have babies in my 14 gallon tank. If they have babies, is it okay to only have one clownfish in my tank with some cleaners?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about clownfish having babies since the fries (babies) will not survive in a tank. If u want to avoid them laying eggs, don't buy a bonded pair (which usually costs more $). GL

RandomUser7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One clownfish will be fine on its own if you want to avoid fry. A pair may or may not lay eggs if you choose to go that route. If they do lay eggs then the fry will not survive on their own in the display tank. The clowns usually end up eating the fry or the eggs anyways.

RandomUser7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One clownfish will be fine on its own if you want to avoid fry. A pair may or may not lay eggs if you choose to go that route. If they do lay eggs then the fry will not survive on their own in the display tank. The clowns usually end up eating the fry or the eggs anyways.
I forgot to mention one clownfish or a pair will be fine in a 14 gallon with cleaners. You could probably have a goby like a yellow watchman or something in there too. I wouldn't recommend using fish as part of your cleanup crew, just snails.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back