One spot foxface in 75 gallon?

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon and I’ve almost got all of the fish I want but I’m questioning the foxface for size reasons.

I know that the one spot foxface is true only one that people day that you can put in a 75 gallon because it gets smaller than all the other types of foxfaces but I’m not sure. It is my favorite fish and has been for a while can I make it work while having the fish be happy and healthy?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coral beauty and damsel may be problematic. But, the foxface can fight back. If you have a LFS, with a healthy fox and if things don't work out, hopefully they'll take the problem child or fox back.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty and damsel may be problematic. But, the foxface can fight back. If you have a LFS, with a healthy fox and if things don't work out, hopefully they'll take the problem child or fox back.
My damsel is a jerk. I’ve tried to catch him to give him away a few times but I think that It may not be to much of a problem because the foxface would be triple his size and my coral beauty is a very peaceful fish it has never even bothered another fish. Also I work at my lfs so I’m sure they will probably let me take one back if there’s a problem.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one spot is a large fish for a 75g, they grow quickly, and is one that will get to max size even in captivity.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that the one spot foxface is true only one that people day that you can put in a 75 gallon because it gets smaller than all the other types of foxfaces but I’m not sure.
Yeah, that's debatable. If it's smaller than the others, then it's only be a cm or two.
Max size of both the Lo and the One Spot (as well as other smaller species of Rabbitfish) is about 7-8” right?
My sources have them about the same size, within a couple cm. I've seen some large one spots. I think people got the 75 gallon from Live Aquaria of all places. They say a one spot gets 8" and is okay in a 70, while the lo gets 9" and needs a 125. How much sense does that make? They are basically the same fish, just a geographical variant, like Halichoeres chrysus and H. luecoxanthus wrasses.

All that being said, a 4 foot by 18" tank is debatable. They are big fish, and grow fast, but they aren't as active or aggressive as their distant cousin tangs. Now, that only goes for 'foxfaces' and not most of the other rabbitfishes that get really big. I wouldn't keep one in a 75, but no one will crucify you if you decide to.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the rambling.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me? I wouldn’t keep one in a 75 lol. I’d say a minimum of a 5ft tank that’s 24” wide, or a 6ft 125. But yeah they’re essentially the same fish. I’ve seen the Orange Spot Rabbitfish at a public aquarium and those ones got HUGE.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back