One VorTech enough for my 80 gallon aquarium?

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there.

I've been setting up my new tank, which is an 80 gallon (32/24/24) system. Most of the equipment I need is already purchased, and the tank is undergoing a FW test, but I need to set up powerheads still.

On my old disassembled tank I had a VorTech that I very much enjoyed, and had kept it in storage in the basement. However, I realized tonight that my old Vortech is a MP10wQD. In terms of flow this might have been fine, but the glass is 12mm on my new build, meaning it doesnt work. I'll have to buy an MP40wQD.

In terms of flow, this is a big overkill already, and given the price of the pumps, I really don't want to go with two. But I am concerned about whether - even as good as they are - having all the flow besides return through the loc lines coming from one source is a good thing. Can I get by with just that, or should I buy some secondary, cheaper powerhead to place in another portion of my tank?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mp10's work just fine on 12mm glass, and have been on this upgraded tank for about 3 years now.

With that said, in my 80G cube I run 2 mp10's, 2 jebao PP8's, and a gyre xf250.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back