One Year Update

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I in no way consider one year "success", but some may find my report of a one year anniversary for these 2 interesting. Two fish that you don't see very often, and ones that have a reputation for being hard to keep.

I lost a Rhinopias frondosa aka weedy scorpionfish in qt, internal parasites. Maybe he was too far gone but he could not tolerate any meds I was throwing at him; prazi, metro, or gc. He lasted less than a week and it was real kick in the jewels, and I paid a pretty penny for a lfs owner to hand pick him for me at the wholesalers. The one I have now ended up coming from a lfs, I monitored him for about 4 weeks, no signs of parasites, and I did not use any medication. He took to silversides right away and I was thrilled, as these guys are expensive to feed live. But that was short lived, about 3 months later he refused to eat at all, even threw up a silverside. I've only known 2 people to keep one of these guys before, both only lasted a few months. One was a friend and against my advice, he kept him in a large community tank afer he got him eating dead food. I guess it's like their routine to eat dead for a few months and just stop. This is the same routine I had keeping a leaf scorpionfish. Because of the other tank mates in my friends tank he had a hard time getting live food to him, and I think the stress took it's toll, and he refused all food and died; it took more than 2 months. So my guy eats 2-5 mollies a week over 2-3 feedings, he has a funny personality and is more active than I expected. I kind of hand feed him, I hold a live molly in my hand under water, and he hops to a few inches away and waits for me to open my hand. The big take away is, don;t expect these guys to stay on a dead only diet and live very long and they are very sensitive to meds. I've shared this write many times. it is the best write on rhinopias I've found: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rhinopias-scorpionfish-care.633562/

Parapterois heterura aka blackfoot lionfish. I've never met anyone that's kept one of these and most of what I've read online doesn't really line up my experience. !st off they are pretty much like every other dwarf and medium bodied lions I've kept. Coming in eating live food only, if eating at all, with internal parasites and susceptible to bacterial infections. The whole cold water thing is a myth, pure and simple, they come from tropical waters and mine has been living just fine in 76*. He did come in with very stubborn internal parasites; he took prazi, metro, and gc. He then ended up with a prolapsed rectum and a ragged tail. I wish I wouldn't have, but I did use paraguard. I dosed up mu mg as well, somewhere I read it help with digestion and the meds and parasites likely lead to prolapsed rectum. His tail and fins got a little ragged over the 1st few months, mild bacterial infections, and I just let it ride. I've found with the lions it's best to keep good water quality, feed well, and let it ride; rather that to kepp throwing antibiotics at it. I'm concened now with the exposure he's had, meds seem to do a number on their organs. He is one of the most active lions I've ever had and he's a beast with an insatiable appetite. He's grown from under 3" to over 4" in a years time, so roughly 1.5". Pics just don't do this guy justice, his coloring goes through shades of rust with an iridescent gold and green on the top of his head and pectoral fins, bright fluorescent blue sparkles underneath his pectoral fins and his anal fins. He will take dead food; krill, silverfish(not silversides), salmon chunks, and shrimp chunks. But he gets mostly live food; ghosties, guppies, and he's now big enough for mollies.

010.jpg
012.jpg
003.jpg

Last edited:

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, especially the first pic!

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I in no way consider one year "success", but some may find my report of a one year anniversary for these 2 interesting. Two fish that you don't see very often, and ones that have a reputation for being hard to keep.

I lost a Rhinopias frondosa aka weedy scorpionfish in qt, internal parasites. Maybe he was too far gone but he could not tolerate any meds I was throwing at him; prazi, metro, or gc. He lasted less than a week and it was real kick in the jewels, and I paid a pretty penny for a lfs owner to hand pick him for me at the wholesalers. The one I have now ended up coming from a lfs, I monitored him for about 4 weeks, no signs of parasites, and I did not use any medication. He took to silversides right away and I was thrilled, as these guys are expensive to feed live. But that was short lived, about 3 months later he refused to eat at all, even threw up a silverside. I've only known 2 people to keep one of these guys before, both only lasted a few months. One was a friend and against my advice, he kept him in a large community tank afer he got him eating dead food. I guess it's like their routine to eat dead for a few months and just stop. This is the same routine I had keeping a leaf scorpionfish. Because of the other tank mates in my friends tank he had a hard time getting live food to him, and I think the stress took it's toll, and he refused all food and died; it took more than 2 months. So my guy eats 2-5 mollies a week over 2-3 feedings, he has a funny personality and is more active than I expected. I kind of hand feed him, I hold a live molly in my hand under water, and he hops to a few inches away and waits for me to open my hand. The big take away is, don;t expect these guys to stay on a dead only diet and live very long and they are very sensitive to meds. I've shared this write many times. it is the best write on rhinopias I've found: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rhinopias-scorpionfish-care.633562/

Parapterois heterura aka blackfoot lionfish. I've never met anyone that's kept one of these and most of what I've read online doesn't really line up my experience. !st off they are pretty much like every other dwarf and medium bodied lions I've kept. Coming in eating live food only, if eating at all, with internal parasites and susceptible to bacterial infections. The whole cold water thing is a myth, pure and simple, they come from tropical waters and mine has been living just fine in 76*. He did come in with very stubborn internal parasites; he took prazi, metro, and gc. He then ended up with a prolapsed rectum and a ragged tail. I wish I wouldn't have, but I did use paraguard. I dosed up mu mg as well, somewhere I read it help with digestion and the meds and parasites likely lead to prolapsed rectum. His tail and fins got a little ragged over the 1st few months, mild bacterial infections, and I just let it ride. I've found with the lions it's best to keep good water quality, feed well, and let it ride; rather that to kepp throwing antibiotics at it. I'm concened now with the exposure he's had, meds seem to do a number on their organs. He is one of the most active lions I've ever had and he's a beast with an insatiable appetite. He's grown from under 3" to over 4" in a years time, so roughly 1.5". Pics just don't do this guy justice, his coloring goes through shades of rust with an iridescent gold and green on the top of his head and pectoral fins, bright fluorescent blue sparkles underneath his pectoral fins and his anal fins. He will take dead food; krill, silverfish(not silversides), salmon chunks, and shrimp chunks. But he gets mostly live food; ghosties, guppies, and he's now big enough for mollies.

010.jpg
012.jpg
003.jpg
CONGRATS!!!! Especially on the Blackfoot Lion! They’re my favorite lion! I think you do an outstanding job with your fish. My experience with blackfoots are keeping them on sand & feeding live foods, especially ghost shrimp. I’d also feed mollies also, mine seemed to prefer ghost shrimp, I’d gutload both prior to feeding. I think all of them come with parasites, I’d use Prazi & GC on them & let it ride. I’d also feed the mollies & ghost shrimp medicated food, so it was like a double whammy.Also, I’d keep them between 74-76* I also liked how they’d change colors, especially at feeding time! Never kept Rhinopias, cool fish, just no interest. Had a true stonefish once, didn’t want it, but, wholesaler shipped it as a lion, acted like a stone until you put food in, then it would hunt. It would do like Fu Manchu lions, start twitching it’s dorsal spines, then creep up to food, then gulp all gone. Again, congrats on your fish keeping

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there’s any reason behind why lions and similar fish tend to have issues on a long term dead only diet. I would assume they just get bored and need the stimulation of live food, but it would be interesting to see some actual research on this. Maybe there’s more to it.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think stimjlation is definitely part of it, I've also worked with land predators. People in the know, know how important it is to enrich their environment. We obviously couldn't feed them live prey, triggering a land lion or tiger to hunt would be a very bad idea. But we would hide their food, hide treats like bones and such, have them bat around pumpkins and interact with humans when possible. The ones that reacted positively lived a much longer life, those that became sedentary had a life even shorter than in the wild.

I'm sure another part, maybe even the bigger part, is nutritional. I havd kept a fuzxy for years, but it was tough keeping the diet varied, enhanced, and keeping him interested. Probably way more demqnding than for the average hobbyist.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't, I have in the past but it proved to be too labor intensive and in the end likely cost me more. I have a good local lfs that sells me mollies for $1, the sizes I need to feed my guys would cost me more to raise, much less the time involved. That with 100 ghosties a week, yeah I spend alot on food.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back