Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started reading about reef tanks Ive marveled at onespot Foxfaces, and When I saw they get 7-8" I said yeah thats never gonna happen in my 2' cube. But I might be able to get me a 120-150 gallon! I just want to make sure the tank size I get can support a Onespot. I would much prefer a 120 but, if I really need to, ill do the 150, but it'll take another few months to finance. The only other fish would be,

Halichoeres Claudia wrasse
One Occ. Clown (she won't accept a mate)
Longnose Hawk
Royal Gramma

I already have the above so yeah, im only upgrading for more corals and a onespot.

Might add a Dwarf angel if im feeling Ballsy.

Any Reasonable response is much appreciated or past experience, Thanks loads!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a 75g. Live aquira min is 75 several other places said 75g. As it grew it got a little aggressive in a small tank. In my experience should be at least a 125.

OP
OP
If_Only

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a 75g. Live aquira min is 75 several other places said 75g. As it grew it got a little aggressive in a small tank. In my experience should be at least a 125.
What else did you have in the tank? Was he the aggressor?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else did you have in the tank? Was he the aggressor?
Yes l. Bite marks on other fish. I also watched him do it. 5 Blue green chromis coral beauty 2clown goby, ywg, small sailfin tang and a royal Gramma. It was about 5-6 inches.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really prefer 6' tanks for semi-large fish such as these. Outside the length, you have to create ample swimming and grazing opportunities. I like having rock in the middle which allows the fish to swim front and back of it, as well as graze on both sides. IME they like moderate to heavy flow.

I applaud the fact you are picking the tank to match the fish, not making the fish work in your tank.

OP
OP
If_Only

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really prefer 6' tanks for semi-large fish such as these. Outside the length, you have to create ample swimming and grazing opportunities. I like having rock in the middle which allows the fish to swim front and back of it, as well as graze on both sides. IME they like moderate to heavy flow.

I applaud the fact you are picking the tank to match the fish, not making the fish work in your tank.
Generally I try to build my rock scapes like this, lots of rock but many ways to swim around it and through it. So do you think neither would be suitable? (the 120 or the 150)
I've had one in my 90 gallon for over a year with no issues, but it still has a ways to grow so we shall see. Here is mine right now:

Thanks for even including your video, very helpful. Does yours seem comfortable? It look as if it is. You have a 4'x18"x24" 90 gallon correct?

OP
OP
If_Only

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes l. Bite marks on other fish. I also watched him do it. 5 Blue green chromis coral beauty 2clown goby, ywg, small sailfin tang and a royal Gramma. It was about 5-6 inches.
Wow, Every other journal or experience I have read or have others tell me about said that they are very gentle for there size. Was yours a onespot or just a normal fox face?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I try to build my rock scapes like this, lots of rock but many ways to swim around it and through it. So do you think neither would be suitable? (the 120 or the 150)

Thanks for even including your video, very helpful. Does yours seem comfortable? It look as if it is. You have a 4'x18"x24" 90 gallon correct?

A 125 long tank is 6', and relatively common. A 100 long is also 6', but can't say I have seen one of these. I would definitely recommend a 100 long over a standard 120. If you are looking at other semi-large fish as well then 150 might be the way to go.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on a 75 and he is a model citizen. Rock in the middle with swimming corridors front and back and plenty of caves to swim through. No aggression at all so far.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Every other journal or experience I have read or have others tell me about said that they are very gentle for there size. Was yours a onespot or just a normal fox face?
I believe it to be because of a small tank. Every larger tank in see them in they are peaceful.

OP
OP
If_Only

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 125 long tank is 6', and relatively common. A 100 long is also 6', but can't say I have seen one of these. I would definitely recommend a 100 long over a standard 120. If you are looking at other semi-large fish as well then 150 might be the way to go.
I am planning the list above ^. But the fox face would be the only other big fish, besides maybe, maybe a dwarf angel, but most likely its just a few smallish fish with him. And I don't really want to do a 6' tank, and if I did I would go for a 180, I don't much enjoy narrow tanks, so I would go for a 180 and bankrupt myself.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning the list above ^. But the fox face would be the only other big fish, besides maybe, maybe a dwarf angel, but most likely its just a few smallish fish with him. And I don't really want to do a 6' tank, and if I did I would go for a 180, I don't much enjoy narrow tanks, so I would go for a 180 and bankrupt myself.

It is hard to say what you will want to keep in 5 years, even if you feel certain right now. As your tank matures so will your tastes. Save yourself, and the fish, a headache and go as big as you feel is possible. I am surprised a standard 180 gallon isn't more common. The 72" gives you many options with fish, 24" height allows most people ability to easily clean to bottom unassisted as well as room for sps to grow out, 24" width allows for ample room to have a truly multidimensional aquascape.

OP
OP
If_Only

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to say what you will want to keep in 5 years, even if you feel certain right now. As your tank matures so will your tastes. Save yourself, and the fish, a headache and go as big as you feel is possible. I am surprised a standard 180 gallon isn't more common. The 72" gives you many options with fish, 24" height allows most people ability to easily clean to bottom unassisted as well as room for sps to grow out, 24" width allows for ample room to have a truly multidimensional aquascape.
Yeah, But I am planning to order from SCA aquariums, and they have a 120-150-180. Also I might be moving in a couple years so if I feel I need to upgrade I could, I might look into a 180, A sailfish tang is one my top three fish... right under onespot and a red corris... But the moral of the story is you feel a 120 wouldn't fit a onespot?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The onespot commonly gets a small tank recommendation, even by liveaquaria, which many use as a good guide. The reason is the habit of this fish, they usually utilize a relatively small amount of real estate. They are not horizontal swimmers like tangs or angels but rather utilize a cubed out area of the tank. Although this is all true and theoretically they would be happy in a 120g, this fish does get large and visually may appear to be too large in a 4' tank. Give them an open rock area to cruise and call home.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, But I am planning to order from SCA aquariums, and they have a 120-150-180. Also I might be moving in a couple years so if I feel I need to upgrade I could, I might look into a 180, A sailfish tang is one my top three fish... right under onespot and a red corris... But the moral of the story is you feel a 120 wouldn't fit a onespot?

Long-term I don't think a 4' tank is a good idea. I have seen rabbitfish kill other fish in tight quarters with their venomous spines, more room typically also means less aggression.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine seems pretty comfortable other than it's spaz type behavior (very common for Foxface), you are correct on the dimensions of my 90 gallon.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a Foxface Lo, but he was in a 60 gallon for 12+ years before I got him. He’s a model citizen in my 125. I set my tank up specifically for a Foxface and have plenty of swimming room for him with my rock in the middle so he can cruise the front and back unimpeded.

His 60 was obviously too narrow. He was ridiculously easy to catch because he simply couldn’t turn around quickly. But I think with some thought to the layout, even a big guy like him could live in a 75.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 11.1%
Back