Open brain

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My open brain coral has receded quite a bit but my other lps are doing fine. The only thing that I can think its doing this is because no matter where I put it my pistol shrimp puts a lot sand on it. Could this be killing it

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be stressing the coral, and this is the reason I do not keep Pistol shrimp any longer. If your coral is in the sand bed then it's fair game for a Pistol shrimp.
With those types of LPS, alkalinity really needs to be spot on and constant, and they require less light then most people think.
Try an area of less intense lighting, make sure your alkalinity and other elements are in line, careful try to elevate the piece on small pieces of rubble if able and appropriate, being careful not to damage tissue.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be stressing the coral, and this is the reason I do not keep Pistol shrimp any longer. If your coral is in the sand bed then it's fair game for a Pistol shrimp.
With those types of LPS, alkalinity really needs to be spot on and constant, and they require less light then most people think.
Try an area of less intense lighting, make sure your alkalinity and other elements are in line, careful try to elevate the piece on small pieces of rubble if able and appropriate, being careful not to damage tissue.

Okay so that could be why my frogspawn and torch aren't having trouble even though they are on the sand bed. If I protect and spot feed everyday. Should I be able to save him. For right now I'm keeping the top of a soda bottle over top of him

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed with the soda bottle on top that is an excellent idea and I forgot to include that in my post. Target feeding and less intense lighting with a stable alk go along ways with Trachyphyllia.

You'll have to come up with a better plan then the soda bottle soon though. The soda bottle, an excellent intervention, but does however prevent adequate flow, thereby reducing gas exchange......you get the idea.

Balance is always a challenge.

GL

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back