Open Mouth Scoly

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my scoly for a few years and dealt with some issues about a year and a half ago with receding tissue and mouth issues.

Was able to catch the culprit with a Aiptasia file fish that had been removed. Since then it’s been doing great.

About a month or two ago I noticed the gaping mout come back. The scoly is still opening up and inflating well. The tissue looks great.. except around the mouth.

Any ideas as to what could be going on?
Alk: 10.5
pH: 8.0-8.2
Ca: 400
Nitrate: 17.5
Phosphate: 0.10

My clowns host in the torch next to it and I have noticed them hosting this scoly occasionally but not frequently, this is a pretty recent thing. I’m thinking this might have something to do with it as I noticed this behavior around the same time as the mouth issues.

Other inhabitants:
Pyramid butterfly
Lyretail Anthias
Solon wrasse
Ruby wrasse
Fire fish
Yellow tang
Mandarin
Cleaner shrimp

Haven’t noticed anyone picking at it, but it’s always a possibility.

Other scolys are doing well, would appreciate any feedback.
41011643-F073-4DBB-B9CA-3F1FA9632E90.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
May be hungry or expelling food. They can be easily irritated also by sand. They can and will expel time to time and give a shriveled appearance while having the mouth open. Coral looks healthy so I would not focus on any immediate changes. Feeding high protein pellets can harm them. Feed them with a plastic pipette ( as basters can be a little aggressive with their delivery) squirt some frozen mysis over the oral area to the outside of the disk with absolutely no flow pumps on and allow them to eat as they are slow feeders

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be hungry or expelling food. They can be easily irritated also by sand. They can and will expel time to time and give a shriveled appearance while having the mouth open. Coral looks healthy so I would not focus on any immediate changes. Feeding high protein pellets can harm them. Feed them with a plastic pipette ( as basters can be a little aggressive with their delivery) squirt some frozen mysis over the oral area to the outside of the disk with absolutely no flow pumps on and allow them to eat as they are slow feeders
The only thing I feed is reef roids or reef chili with a pipette. I've definitely seen it expel waste but this is different. It has been open like this for an extended period of time, almost a month now.

Sand is a possibility with the clowns hosting the torch so close by. The often aggravate the sand with their fins. I think I might move the scoly to be further away and see if that helps.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back