Operation Reef Awareness...

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would introduce our organization a bit in the wake of what could be a nice black eye on our hobby. This propaganda perpetrated by Snorkel Bob is, to say the least, disturbing.

Most of us as hobbyist love the wild reefs and do everything in our power to give our animals a good and safe home. We support conservation efforts (when appropriate) and support captive breeding and cultivating efforts.

Well, we can also try to support coral reef awareness too. This is what our organization is trying to do here in land-locked Cincinnati, Ohio and surrounding areas.

Through donations and volunteer efforts, we bring the coral reef to our communities. We go to public schools, completely free, to give presentation to children about coral reefs and the life around them.

We currently have four main presentations that are constantly being adjusted to fit the kids, teacher, or time allotted. These are our programs: Basics of the Coral Reef, Coral Reef the Ecosystem, Survival and Adaptation on the Coral Reefs, Habitats of the Coral Reefs. These programs are aimed at all ages, 5th grade, 3rd grade and 1st grade as written.

We bring in a traveling reef system to the classroom. This is currently a 6g Fluval Edge system. We use at least two different systems thanks to a great donation of tanks from Fluval. One is run completely as a living reef hooked to our presenters 40g with 20g sump. The other is used as a set up on the day with corals and animals from the 40g or the presenters main system.

The kids also get a chance to read books, do puzzles, play with replicas of animals (thanks to Safari LTD), and other activities. We bring in skeletons and shells and sharks teeth too. Most of these items have been given to the organization or donated by the presenter through trips.

We are now introducing hand help microscopes to the programs. These will be used by kids to check out the skeletons, live algae, rotifers, brine shrimp, etc.

If this is something you would like to know more about, feel free to contact us at [email protected] or go to our website at www.care4reefs.org . All donations go toward our ability to bring coral awareness to our communities.

If you attend the Chicago Aquatic Experience, please stop by our booth to see our organization in action.

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am usually a bit busy for pics during presentations, but our facebook has some pics and so does our website. We were just up in Chicago for hte Aquatic Experience and it was great. A pic of our booth is on the facebook page. Next year we will be helping get more kids in the door through providing educational experiences.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back