opinion on frag tank

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So right now i have a 20g long frag tank with eggcrate. The eggcrate i about 3-4 inches from surface with a 175w 14k bulb about 12inches above. My question is should i remove 5he eggcrate so i have more surface area to fit my frags? Also as of now i cant put the frags at different levels. I have all zoas by the way. So what are your opinions?

ddwbeagles

Northern VA Novice Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although 175w MH isn't that strong for SPS. My bet is it is going to be for zoas, especially with them so close to the surface. Why not make your eggcrate in tiers or layers, that way without changing the light heights from the surface you can acclimate your frags from the bottom -moving up? Plus you get more frag space in the tank.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwasaki 14k is a great bulb puts out more par than most 250 watt bulbs.

If just zoas go with t5's in my opinion you want have the problem of heating up the water

I

inactive

View Badges
Zoas will grow under about any lighting... With a MH halide set up you gotta keep in mind the most intense part of the light is going to be directly underneath the bulb. The light kind of feathers out so the further away from the center the coral is, the less intense the light.

If you have a T5 fixture that is the same length as the tank, you will have full coverage all over the tank... this means most spots that are the same distance from the light, are getting the same amount of light. Sometimes its not the light, but the placement of the frag itself. This can make some things difficult to acclimate assuming you are putting in new coral that same from a lesser light source.....but there are ways around everything! :)

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep different levels, that way you could see what does best where. Some zoas may respond to more light while others may go south, color is an issue too, im sure trying different locations could help you there as well. JMO of course. It sounds like your well on your way, hope all goes well.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back