Opinion on installing 2 UV sterilizers

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m thinking of installing 2- 50 watt pentair UV sterilizers on a 350 gallon reef I am building. I am planning on having a lot of fish and a heavy bio load plus corals. My thought is that one will be set for flow to control algae and the other to control bacteria and fish disease. The needed room to mount them is not an issue. What are your thoughts.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel 1 would be fine. I use a 40w Pentair on my tank. As long as the fish and corals come in clean, meaning from a respectable vendor, then all you would need the UV sterilizer for would be algae control. If need be, you can simply change the flow.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of installing 2- 50 watt pentair UV sterilizers on a 350 gallon reef I am building. I am planning on having a lot of fish and a heavy bio load plus corals. My thought is that one will be set for flow to control algae and the other to control bacteria and fish disease. The needed room to mount them is not an issue. What are your thoughts.
I'm all in on this and if I had the $ and space, I'd be doing the same thing.

Accurately dialing in the flow through each being the biggest headache. It seems the smallest reliable flow meter you can get is for a one and a half inch pipe.

OP
OP
Gundy

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm all in on this and if I had the $ and space, I'd be doing the same thing.

Accurately dialing in the flow through each being the biggest headache. It seems the smallest reliable flow meter you can get is for a one and a half inch pipe.
On this 50 watt unit I believe the recommended flow is 260 GPH for fish disease control. The Apex has several flow valves sizes and wondering if such a slow rate of flow can be measured accurately.

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would oversize with 1 and accomplish both algae and disease.

My 80w on a 200g system

23394ED5-8212-4017-927E-803A12AA8B00.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this 50 watt unit I believe the recommended flow is 260 GPH for fish disease control. The Apex has several flow valves sizes and wondering if such a slow rate of flow can be measured accurately.

There is normally a range of effectiveness. At that slow a rate. The apex would make it a lot easier to dial in for sure.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would oversize with 1 and accomplish both algae and pests.
There is quite a bit of literature showing that isn't really a feasible option. The flow rates are far enough away that when one is effective the other is not or not effective enough to make a difference at that lower flow. If you split the ranges, You don't get the full benefits of either.

OP
OP
Gundy

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is quite a bit of literature showing that isn't really a feasible option. The flow rates are far enough away that when one is effective the other is not or not effective enough to make a difference at that lower flow. If you split the ranges, You don't get the full benefits of either.
I was thinking of going this route but like you said, the flow rates are too far apart to accomplish this. Plus, on the 80 watt unit, the flow rates have to be around 1400 GPH for a 300 gallon tank for algae and less than 1/4 the flow for bacteria control.

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a large UV at a reduced flow rate. Ideally you would want your uv to able to produce 72,000 micro watts and would able to turnover your whole systems volume at least once to be efficient. With a much larger uv unit, such as my 80w, I am able to produce these radiation and turn over my turn volume over 4 times. So I have achieved algae and parasites control with one system.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd bet if you ran the 2 50 watt in series (one after the other) and ran a higher flow rate (say double or triple the protan rate) you would have plenty of flow and exposure time for about anything. An expensive proposition though! Might be a little cheaper with one of those 80 or so watt double tube units, if they run in series rather than in parallel. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Gundy

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd bet if you ran the 2 50 watt in series (one after the other) and ran a higher flow rate (say double or triple the protan rate) you would have plenty of flow and exposure time for about anything. An expensive proposition though! Might be a little cheaper with one of those 80 or so watt double tube units, if they run in series rather than in parallel. Just a thought.
I will have 3 return lines. My thought was to run one UV on one of my main return lines since it will be at about 1400-1500 GPH and the other on a separate return Line off a manifold where I can regulate the flow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back