Opinion on lighting

Reefermadness775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a new frag tank on the way and wanted some opinion on what lights you would use and why? If you would go t5 what bulb mix would you use? Current set up is ecotech g4 pro running ab+. Growth and color are good but wondering if it could be better. Mixed corals dimensions are 72x36x12.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your G4s are probably doing a good enough job that you probably wouldn’t want to risk trying something else out to see if it’s marginally better. Seeing growth rate is a priority here, switching lights and spectrum is going to be a step backwards. Adding t5 or mh as a supplement to your leds would likely be slight step forward, but again this is only if your corals are missing out on something spectrally. If you do add t5, go heavy on blue plus bulbs. Coral plus bulbs would be my second choice.

OP
OP
R

Reefermadness775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your G4s are probably doing a good enough job that you probably wouldn’t want to risk trying something else out to see if it’s marginally better. Seeing growth rate is a priority here, switching lights and spectrum is going to be a step backwards. Adding t5 or mh as a supplement to your leds would likely be slight step forward, but again this is only if your corals are missing out on something spectrally. If you do add t5, go heavy on blue plus bulbs. Coral plus bulbs would be my second choice.
not looking to add to the current system. This will be a second set up sharing filtration.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If already using radions and this will be a hybrid, I’d do a pair of blue+ and a pair of true actinic. You get enough photo red from the radions

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just going to propagate stuff for yourself, then just use what you have on your display. If this is a semi-serious trade/business, then kinda need to know how serious that you are and what kind for coral that you want to grow and sell. 72x36 is no joke to light... need multiple rows of LEDs, large reflector MH or several T5 units if you want to use the whole thing.

Just speaking generically, but all that you get is hype from newer LED units... it will be a few years before anybody knows if they are any good or not. Manufacturer will say that they are the most advanced ever. Everybody's reefi, knoopsyche, etc. will all come with glowing reviews by people who have used them for a few days and the recycling truck has not even come to get the box yet. While this is not completely true, you get what I am saying...

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What t5 fixtures are you going to use...as in how many fixtures, how many bulbs in each, and how long?

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the AquaticLife T5 hybrid system with Reef Breeder Photon V2+ LED lights over my SPS frag system. I use all ATI Blue Plus. I am getting great coloration and growth is good as well. They are around 18" off of the water.

OP
OP
R

Reefermadness775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the AquaticLife T5 hybrid system with Reef Breeder Photon V2+ LED lights over my SPS frag system. I use all ATI Blue Plus. I am getting great coloration and growth is good as well. They are around 18" off of the water.
Thanks Brandon. Im pretty sure im going straight t5 for the moment and see how that works out. I may go hybrid in the future.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that im going with a ati sunpower 8x80w

Nice. That will cover a large portion of your big area...probably around 6x2.

You can keep LPS on the edges, since you might want to feed them anyway.

For bulbs, any combo of blue+ & coral+. I would do 5 B+. No need to dim them, by the way.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back