Opinion on reef lighting?

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers looking for some advice and or opinions.....i currently have a 60 gallon standard size..... reef doing just fine with the cheap china black box lighting but i don't really like them and i know buying a better light will help much more this was the only mistake i rushed into when setting it up about 7 months ago...my ? is I'm looking into the al prime lights my tank how many can i get away with using ? i was wondering if 2 would work or if i would need a 3rd tank is 4 ft long so not sure what the spread is on that particular light please if anyone could give me little advice I'm looking to spend roughly $700 on a new light set up thanks!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers looking for some advice and or opinions.....i currently have a 60 gallon standard size..... reef doing just fine with the cheap china black box lighting but i don't really like them and i know buying a better light will help much more this was the only mistake i rushed into when setting it up about 7 months ago...my ? is I'm looking into the al prime lights my tank how many can i get away with using ? i was wondering if 2 would work or if i would need a 3rd tank is 4 ft long so not sure what the spread is on that particular light please if anyone could give me little advice I'm looking to spend roughly $700 on a new light set up thanks!
Brs did a good breakdown

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4ft long is gonna be tough for 700$, two hydra 32s would be min. You would need three for sure 16s.
What about t5s? :)

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i was you i would save up and get what you really want its worth the wait . i rushed and sold my old ai primes for the new ones and regret it .

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't specify sps or other, they have different requirements.
Also, there is no rule that says the whole tank must be at symmetric lighting level.

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4ft long is gonna be tough for 700$, two hydra 32s would be min. You would need three for sure 16s.
What about t5s? :)
i was looking into the t5s but i really like the apps and how you can control different color channels also plan on getting another tank going would like to buy everything energy efficient my light bill is already a burden lol....700 is just a good starting range i know i will be paying a few dollars more I'm sure but I'm sure i was gonna get someone who tell me a option that would be way more than I'm looking so i figured i throw out my number....would you recommend the al prime or hydras? any difference in performance ?

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, there is no rule that says the whole tank must be at symmetric lighting level.
It is a mixed reef and I'm not saying it has to be symmetric but i sure would like to get the most even spread as i can more or less ....and my ? was how many al primes i would need for my tank 2 or 3 for a 4ft tank not if the lighting will be symmetric wanted to know the spread

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also i know that most of these lights you can change the color spectrums so no matter what i have in my tank i can adjust to what works

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a mixed reef and I'm not saying it has to be symmetric but i sure would like to get the most even spread as i can more or less ....and my ? was how many al primes i would need for my tank 2 or 3 for a 4ft tank not if the lighting will be symmetric wanted to know the spread
Watch the video linked above for your answers.

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs did a good breakdown

[/QUOT
Brs did a good breakdown

BRS does do a really good job at these tests well this answers my question about the primes to the t ...i just don't want to spend a bunch of money and not be happy with the choice hints why i am in this position as we speak i tried the black box thing only cause ei spoke with a lot of people who said they had no issues keeping a mixed reef with them but they don't come with the royal purple spectrum which i know is very important they just have the white and soft white and blue couple of red and green

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you want testimonials from reefers who've used these?

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this is the best place to look for answers by far the primes are what i am shooting for just looking for other options i know a lot of them are preference to what you like yourself just wanted to see if there was any other options out there similar to them or if those would be a good fit for a mixed reef

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this is the best place to look for answers by far the primes are what i am shooting for just looking for other options i know a lot of them are preference to what you like yourself just wanted to see if there was any other options out there similar to them or if those would be a good fit for a mixed reef
Gotcha. I run kessil ap700 on my 48 in 75g, would need another for sps.

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just can't stand looking at these black box lights anymore hideous i say .....everything in my tank is thriving but i know i need more something more professional and made for this these black boxes are not something i would ever recommend even if you had no other choice lol this was the only mistake i made while setting up my first tank I also didn't plan on getting into starting a reef at first i was just going to be just a fish only tank but that quickly changed

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just can't stand looking at these black box lights anymore hideous i say .....everything in my tank is thriving but i know i need more something more professional and made for this these black boxes are not something i would ever recommend even if you had no other choice lol this was the only mistake i made while setting up my first tank I also didn't plan on getting into starting a reef at first i was just going to be just a fish only tank but that quickly changed
Hopefully, your fish are all reef safe.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can consider high end black box - reefbreeders photons. They are a fantastic value and if you look up thermans build you can see he has 0 issues with shading and can grow the most challenging sps in the hobby.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two used hydra 26HD runs about 500 to 550. Two Radion XR15 G4 used a little bit more. As long as you don’t mind used, there’s lots of option within your budget. I liked my Chinese black boxes for the price and kind of missed them lol.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back