opinions needed

Big John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like some advice on an issue with a new custom tank. I ordered a 180 gallon custom built low iron 3 side reef aquarium. Waited the long 4 month wait. Got the tank in and brought it home. When I took off the hard cardboard covers on the corners I see bubbles up the whole front left corner. I contacted my the lfs that sold me the custom tank and stand and he gave me the companies number and who to contact. I did and the company gave me two options. The first which he sent were some cheap looking black plastic corner covers. They look horrible on even a cheap tank let alone this tank. His other options was for me to bring the tank back to him and he would cut it back apart and redo it. This is at best a 4 1/2 drive.

The companies distributor makes deliveries to my town every week. I personally feel that they need to build anew tank and when they come to town deliver it and take the old tank. What are your thoughts am I asking too much on an almost $4,000.00 tank?

I also discovered over the weekend when we were getting measurements to skin the steel stand that they didn't put the tabs to attach the wood skins so at is messed up as well.

Please give me advice on this as it sits I am considering having an attorney handle it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you purchased this with a credit card, give them a call and get them involved.....they have the clout to have this company make it right. They should be coming to you to make this right.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that kind of money, don't compromise. A completely new build is the only way I'd go.

Glass Cages?

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the lfs sold it to you, so I would expect them to stand behind the products they're selling. I would expect better customer service from everyone involved with such a large purchase.

OP
OP
B

Big John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is how I feel as well. No it's not glass cages. This is one of the major custom builders. Looking
back now I wish that I had seen Reef Savy before I ordered this tank and then I wouldn't be in this situation.

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some bubbles in a Planet Aquariums tank I owned. I quickly called them up, and was assured that this sometimes happens, and that they promised the tank would be fine. Of course, my tank was smaller than yours. They than said it is common for this to happen with clear silicone, and if I didn't want to see the bubbles in the silicon than I should have ordered black Silicone.

You ordred a custom tank, and paid a big price on it, it should be perfect.

OP
OP
B

Big John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess they have that excuse worked out. The builder of my custom tank was Planet Aquariums and it does have black silicone with bubbles all over the place. The only offer he gave was for me to drive 4 hours to Dallas and he would cut the tank apart and redo it. Of course I was not going to do that. What I will say is this the aquarium world is a small one and I will never buy another Planet aquarium and will tell the story to everyone looking to buy a new aquarium. I am finally at the point of having all of my equipment purchased or this build and will start a build thread soon.

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your naming the vendor. Duly noted. I think it behooves us all to spread the word regarding dissatisfaction and expectations not met.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say that for 4k I would have them build another and take the 4 hr drive to return it and get the new one....or I would request a refund and have them pick up the tank from the store and order one from somewhere else.....seems crazy expensive for just a tank.....the big question is....is it cheaper to drive to Dallas than replacing all the stuff around the tank if it leaks or a seam fails (floors, walls, and electronics)? If a tank fails it is always when you are away from the house....as Murphy's law would say.

OP
OP
B

Big John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not build a new tank. He offered to cut the silicone out of this one and redo it, but said it could happen again. The bond of the seams is not compromised according to planet. Which I have had bubbles in silicone before and never had any problems. I just didn't expect to have them in a custom built tank. The cost did include the steel stand at almost 4k. Planets 7 yr. warranty does include life and equipment if the tank fails. My electronics will not be below the aquarium. I will cover the corners with oak trim and the bubbles will not be seen.

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If done correctly, there are no bubbles in a black silicone seam. I have a 60" rimless in 3 /4" starfire, and the seams are flawless, so it's not like bubbles are common or even expected. I would think aesthetics is more of a factor than integrity of the bond.

There's one discount manufacturer, who I won't name, that uses small silicone discs, about 1/8 in diameter, as a spacer in their seams. Combined with unmasked and hasty and silicone work (the result of a rapid and continual labor turnover, in this particular instance) their seams can be very ugly.

I'd be willing to bet John, that you won't think twice about the seams once it's wet. I'm sure it's beautiful, and once lit may even be hard to see.

Looking forward to a build thread!

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say that for 4k I would have them build another and take the 4 hr drive to return it and get the new one....or I would request a refund and have them pick up the tank from the store and order one from somewhere else.....seems crazy expensive for just a tank.....the big question is....is it cheaper to drive to Dallas than replacing all the stuff around the tank if it leaks or a seam fails (floors, walls, and electronics)? If a tank fails it is always when you are away from the house....as Murphy's law would say.

+1million

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back