Opinions on controller upgrade. 2016 apex or ghl

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have the apex classic gold right now. Its a good controller but i was wanting to upgrade. I am working on the price differences and it doesnt look to crazy. If anyone has tryed to setup a profilux 4 with doser and maybe powerheads controlled. Im seeing if i cant price the ghl controller to the base 2016 apex set with listed accessories. Like 4 dosing pumps and maybe try to give the ghl controller 2 power heads to control.
Please help me decide. Let me know your opinions please. I like both of these controllers just read somewhere that the ghls seem to be a lil more reliable. Idk

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here is what I can put together as a somewhat even match of controls. Maybe some things I am missing but for 300 more that's not a horrible difference. I know there are other options if anyone has any other thoughts or anything else to add here please do so. I will keep researching and add things as I find them.

GHL CONTROLLER
| NEPTUNE CONTROLLER

DESCRIPTION COST | DESCRIPTION COST

ProfiLux 4 Ultimate Set, Black, USA/CND $1,099.90 | Apex Controller System - Neptune Systems $799.95
GHL Doser 2.1 Slave, 4 pumps, blackUSA/CND $409.90 | DOS Dosing and Fluid metering System Neptune Systems $299.95 @2 $599.90

ProfiLuxTunze1 $9.98 | WAV Pump 2 Pack - Neptune Systems $399.90 1 $399.90

ProfiLuxTunze2 $9.98

Tunze Turbelle Stream Controllable 6105 Pump $285.00 @2 $570.00

TOTAL COST $2,099.76 | TOTAL COST $1,799.75

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can save $300 going with the Mega set instead of the Ultimate. It's only useful for getting to the maintenance/feed settings quickly, and the P4 app is coming soon.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ultimate set includes a touch screen which the Apex base does not. The Mega at 849 is a closer match to the Apex at 799.

As for the Apex, I have heard a lot of problems with connectivity and customer service. But that is also the typical " If it doesn't work right, you'll post about it, if it does work, you don't" scenario.

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also might want to note that the P4 has only 5 controllable plugs with 1 that stays on. I bought a second power strip because I wanted the added control.

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also might want to note that the P4 has only 5 controllable plugs with 1 that stays on. I bought a second power strip because I wanted the added control.

I saw that. Second power stripe is kinda steep 219.90. But that makes it 10 controllable outlets vs 8 on apex. Idk lots to take into consideration. I do like my apex classic gold though.

If anyone has any links to other reveiws or their own experiences with these, pls let us know.

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ultimate set includes a touch screen which the Apex base does not. The Mega at 849 is a closer match to the Apex at 799.

As for the Apex, I have heard a lot of problems with connectivity and customer service. But that is also the typical " If it doesn't work right, you'll post about it, if it does work, you don't" scenario.

Ok yeah i forgot that the new apex doesnt have a display. I'll have to revamp the table.

Off topic but is there an easy way to put an excel spreadsheet on here or do i need to html code a table? I may remember how. Lol

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed i do :)

So i guess you love it. Lol could i possibly get a pic of your setup. And what kind of extras you added in. Id love as much input as youd be willing to share. Like lights controlled, dc pump control, Powerheads, etc.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i guess you love it. Lol could i possibly get a pic of your setup. And what kind of extras you added in. Id love as much input as youd be willing to share. Like lights controlled, dc pump control, Powerheads, etc.
See the massive signature? Click on the first one. Its all there. I just moved so its a wiring mess still. I also have a help thread to get you started.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mckinleyw I am even less than you in the controller dept. as I have no controller at all. I was looking hard at the Apex as I thought it was basically the only real option. That is until I started reading more into it and also what Elder was doing. With what I have read about customer service on the Apex side, I'm a little leery about going that route. I am pretty much convinced that GHL is the way I want to go. :)

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mckinleyw I am even less than you in the controller dept. as I have no controller at all. I was looking hard at the Apex as I thought it was basically the only real option. That is until I started reading more into it and also what Elder was doing. With what I have read about customer service on the Apex side, I'm a little leery about going that route. I am pretty much convinced that GHL is the way I want to go. :)

If i was in ur shoes i would probably go ghl. I do enjoy my apex just... lots of things. I see ghl doing more in the items I have issues with my apex. For myself at this point im gonna wait and follow the ghl. When upgrade time comes im leaning towards the ghl at this point.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do ghl as well
And a second eb32 is 250 ish so there’s that to think about as well if the prolifix was steep Neptune is steeper
The thing is there is the trident coming out as well

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i seen the trident but the kh kinda does same thing. I, myself have been looking and reading on the triton method and alk is only thing thats really needs to be monitored. I use a hanna dkh tester right now and i run at 11dkh i will be slowly switching salts and lowering this down to the recommended 8 over the next 6 months. Maybe by mid next year i will be running a triton tank. (I love my refugiums)

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used an Apex for a couple of years. Recently my eb8 burned out. I looked inside and there was the worst soldering job you could imagine. A capacitor literally fell out leading to a mosfet to burn up. I decided right then to switch. The GHL's build quality is far superior. If you're the type of person who buys one thing and expects outlast you then the P4 is for you. One big downside is that the texting/alert feature requires its own module. I never used it on the Apex so it didn't matter to me

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t read stories about ghl crashing someone’s tank with non-beta firmware. Build quality is excellent, and programming is incredibly simple.

I have the p4 mega set, a stand-alone doser and I use it to control my tunze pumps on top of lights, heater, skimmer. The pump programming is quite cool with its random wave settings.

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other parts did you have to buy and what kind of connections do you use to control these things. I have been looking at all the wires and stuff curious on how easy it is to add on the other modules. any one want to share pictures of their ghl setup. I would love to see wire management, etc. Lets see some ghl controller pix!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back