Opinions on my future fish stocking plan?

fish fish fish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2025
Messages
16
Reaction score
12
Location
America
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank 73gallon with a 20gallon sump currently has a pair of clowns, a one spot fox face rabbitfish, firefish,and a carpenter flasher wrasse
my plan (in order) is
-a mandarin goby (I will make a pod culture once more pod eating fish get added)
-fairy wrasse
-royal gramma
-copperband butterfly fish
-bristletooth tang
My tank is a few years old with ~90lb of live rock and multiple caves. In my sump theres like 5 gallon section dedicated to chaeto growth. I also have protein skimmer, many filter socks and sponges for filtration.
Am I pushing it with the copperband butterfly fish and tang or should i be fine.
 
My tank 73gallon with a 20gallon sump currently has a pair of clowns, a one spot fox face rabbitfish, firefish,and a carpenter flasher wrasse
my plan (in order) is
-a mandarin goby (I will make a pod culture once more pod eating fish get added)
-fairy wrasse
-royal gramma
-copperband butterfly fish
-bristletooth tang
My tank is a few years old with ~90lb of live rock and multiple caves. In my sump theres like 5 gallon section dedicated to chaeto growth. I also have protein skimmer, many filter socks and sponges for filtration.
Am I pushing it with the copperband butterfly fish and tang or should i be fine.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I don't think you'll have any issues with computability, but the mandarin, fairy wrasse and copperband all have their own specialized requirements, and have a certain percentage of loss due to their delicate nature. Mandarins are an issue to feed (but your tank is established, that can help). Fairy wrasses are prone to UNWD and that isn't treatable. Then copperbands are sometimes tough to feed properly. All three of these species are often collected with cyanide, and that causes residual damage and mortality in about 25 to 40% of the fish.

Finally, I would set up a quarantine tank:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new