Optical Sensor-Lifespan

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, how do you know when it is time to replace one of the APEX controller sensors (The one with the magnets)? I only had mine for about 6 months, and it is not recognizing it is wet (CLOSED STATE) sometimes...I have cleaned it still the same...

chadg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, how do you know when it is time to replace one of the APEX controller sensors (The one with the magnets)? I only had mine for about 6 months, and it is not recognizing it is wet (CLOSED STATE) sometimes...I have cleaned it still the same...
Not sure what would break on them. At six months, I'd submit a support ticket with Neptune. Sounds like something is wrong.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx alot for your input...its acting funky...on and off every minute, stating, there isn’t any water in the resovior, when clearly it is.

Sledgehammer87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use kalkwasser in the reservoir its in? Kalk is really hard on these in my experience. I had a few fail in my ATO when I used to use kalkwasser.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thx for taking the time out to reply. No I do not, I fact I used it initially in my protein skimmer cup, when I first realized that it was not sending the signal that the cup is overflowing. It is now used in the RO container, and it does tbe same thing there.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is your optical sensor the original version or their Version 2?

ReillyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine did that when it wasn't plugged into the FMM all the way. Make sure the plug is seated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are subject to many elements such as mulm, detrious, algae, calcium and alk. Keep them clean and will last a long time

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are subject to many elements such as mulm, detrious, algae, calcium and alk. Keep them clean and will last a long time
It’s the need for lots of care with optical why I stick to old fashioned float sensors. Just like they do in mother Russia, keep it simple:p

Last edited:
OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I figured that would have being an issue as well...I cleaned it, then within minutes...it switches back to OPEN...then CLOSE....then OPEN...frankly, it spends more time in the open state than in the close...(I call myself trying to trick it, by placing the programming code in reverse, to alert me when it closes...lol that didn't help either)

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine did that when it wasn't plugged into the FMM all the way. Make sure the plug is seated.
Yeah...that was the first thing I did...then I even switched to a different port... (number 4 on the FMM)...nothing..still the same.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is the version 2...but honestly I do not know...I came with the magnet....

I think both versions had magnet holder options. The second version has a thicker build where the wire meets the sensor. The first version was more easily compromised by saltwater. (Just remember that EVERYTHING is eventually compromised by saltwater.) In installations where the sensor is installed through the wall of a tank or container, the joint is equally reliable in both versions, because the joint isn't in contact with any saltwater. But the first version is less reliable than the second in an installation where the joint is submerged in saltwater, like placement on the hanger hardware typically used for older style magnetic float switches.

I think I have 5 or 6 through-the-wall installations of sensors that are both Apex and eBay generic. None have failed. I also have two installed directly in saltwater that have also not failed. I haven't used any of the Apex second version sensors.

If I had more in saltwater installations, I'd be inclined to smother the joint with aquarium silicone adhesive.

I am skeptical of claims that optical sensors get covered by some biological film that causes errors. I have read that these sensors work in the dark because the light inside of them is measured by refraction occurring inside the sensor, and not by some refraction happening outside the sensor. BUT, I'm not an engineer...

YMMV...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of the gen 1 sensors fail (wire end was submerged), though others that had a dry wire end have been fine.

Back