Optimizing a 14K look with LEDs

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running an AI Hydra HD 26 at roughly 58 watts. I've previously been using the Radion LPS/softy program to try to maximize coral coloration (assuming that that profile is best for that) and to maximize fluorescence. However, the tank looks REALLY blue; I prefer something whiter.

The Hydra program has whites, reds, and greens all as being equal at 14K for lighting. The color looks nicer to me, but I'm wondering if I can mess with the relative percentages of red/green/white for better coloration or just better reds/greens/whatever.

What does everyone do who likes a 14K look? Do you just go with what the device calculates, or do you tweak it for some reason? Are there profiles out there like the Radion programs where someone has tested the various blends and optimized them for less blue tanks?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. IMO. Mix to what you want. Most likely minor adjutments won't effect you significantly. Keeping in mind , folks grow coral with 65k , 10k, 14k and 20k metal halide. Minor coloration differences are noted , but imo, insignificant.

Fwiw , by insignificant, I do mean the difference between amazingly good and amazingly good too.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH bulbs from 5.5K to 20K all have some pretty significant blue spectrum. I would keep the blue up and whiten out the "look" with the other colors - do not turn the blue down too much.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back