options for rigid plastic containers for sump

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a filter idea, to build it i need a plastic rectangular container that can hold 8-18g water. So something rigid enough to be used as a sump without a braces

Im thinking something the size of a 10g or 15h but a large range would work
-Height 9" to 26"
-Length 6"-12"
-Width needs to be 12"-21"
Tapered is fine as long as the largest dimension doesn't exceed size limit

budget set to $40.

ps I could use a 10g tank but I need to drill 3 holes or even a U shape near the top, I think drilling a 10g is risky enough, multiple holes near the edge will probably shatter.

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a filter idea (will be in a separate post), to be able to build it i need rectangular container (no buckets/barrels) that can hold 8-18 gallons of water.
-It will be full to the top, so those rubbermade totes wont do, the start bulging half full.
-I need to drill it, so it can't be too soft (like the sterilite containers)
-The top need to be open, so, my idea of a gas canister wont work, cut off the top and it too bulges.

makes things harder but I could use a tapered container as long as the widest side so no bigger than 22"

Anything between 9" 26" is fine for the height
Hydroponic trays?

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroponic trays?
Quick reply! I clarified my post a right after you saw it.

I think dydropoinc traya are usually flimsy/too shallow/and have holes typically. Even these guys deform and spill out the side if its just water, not soil

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it need to be rectangular?
Cant be a circle/bucket, but things over than recangles could work

I made the 1st post intentionally simple so people actually read it the general ideal is a hybrid sump/hob filter (sitting on side more than hanging on back) but same principle, the output needs 2 or 3 pipes built into the lip, intake will be pump powered so doesnt need to be drilled. but otherwise, it will be designed like a topped off sump, baffles and all.

grttt.png

its.jojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe worth your time to have a walk through your local restaurant supply store. The one here has a number of things that would possibly fit your application.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe worth your time to have a walk through your local restaurant supply store. The one here has a number of things that would possibly fit your application.
Will take a look.

I will check,,beginning to look bleak though.

U

User1

View Badges
Check rubbermaid stock tanks. They have 50, 100, 150, and 300 gallon kits. Maybe the 50 will work.

I'm looking for something similar in the 20 - 24 gallon range for a modular DIY sump. I prefer the modular system but may end up with the 50 gallon rubbermaid stock tank.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check rubbermaid stock tanks. They have 50, 100, 150, and 300 gallon kits. Maybe the 50 will work.

I'm looking for something similar in the 20 - 24 gallon range for a modular DIY sump. I prefer the modular system but may end up with the 50 gallon rubbermaid stock tank.
I think Im making more work for myself trying to do this. Im better off modding a glass tank.

But for what your looking for, have you checked out flip top crates? Like this or this. The lips on these crates are reinfoced, much better at holding its shape than other totes. Theyre usually around 18gal. Their are two kinds, one type warps if you fill it with water. They look similar, if you buy online, the good ones have a weight capacity of 200-300lbs, the bad ones 15-25lbs. (the crappy ones still work fine for trickle filters)

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my frag tank out of a cement mixing tub. They are very hard rigid plastic, deeper than hydroponic trays, come in different sizes, and usually ship free (from Home Depot, Walmart, Amazon, etc). Works perfectly for me!

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my frag tank out of a cement mixing tub. They are very hard rigid plastic, deeper than hydroponic trays, come in different sizes, and usually ship free (from Home Depot, Walmart, Amazon, etc). Works perfectly for me!
love it, did look through a few sites, all the ones i found under 20g or less were 6-7". I did find a battell shaped one that wouldve worked if it was square,

that search got me to come across some planters. If I fund a 58"+ rectangular planter it would make my idea eve easidr to execute. Like if this stood upright, I wouldnt even need to mod the stand. =/

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the smaller one for when I clear out my fuge I use it to pull all my rock out and let it sit in there. I have never filled it with water though

U

User1

View Badges
The concrete mixing tubs say PVC but my concern with those or any other similar storage containers is that they are not food safe. So there may be a risk of leaching something. They have a good foot print but for my searches I've been adding food safe or potable water storage.

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concrete mixing tubs say PVC but my concern with those or any other similar storage containers is that they are not food safe. So there may be a risk of leaching something. They have a good foot print but for my searches I've been adding food safe or potable water storage.
The concrete mixing tub I purchased is made from high density polyethylene (HDPE). The molecules of HDPE are more tightly packad and stable than other food grade plastics. It's actually more inert than PVC (and PVC is usually accepted as being reef safe) and much stronger. Many things that are food grade aren't going to be labeled as such because it's not the intended use.....but molecular structure is molecular structure.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concrete mixing tub I purchased is made from high density polyethylene (HDPE). The molecules of HDPE are more tightly packad and stable than other food grade plastics. It's actually more inert than PVC (and PVC is usually accepted as being reef safe) and much stronger. Many things that are food grade aren't going to be labeled as such because it's not the intended use.....but molecular structure is molecular structure.

Downside to HDPE, probably the worst plastic if you want to attach anything to it. Hence PVC (aka vinyl) and Acrylic being so common with Aquarium DIY stuff. Even teflon (PTFE), known for for its non-stick properties is easier to work with.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being labeled "food safe" has its own strict FDA requirements, a manufacturer won't bother with the liability of the label for something life this. If anything about a pvc container isn't food safe its the type factory it was made in. An "FDA" facility has to constantly pay to prove there's no chance of contamination. Things like dust in the storage area,lunricants on the machines, workers not wearing gloves or lint free gowns, or not letting the plastic off gas before sending them out would prevent a "food safe" claim. If they did use plastisizers the chance of it actually leaching to a detectable level is very low, for it to then leach enough have any effect on the fish would be a freak occurrence.

...summary, rinse it, make sure theres no smell coming off, its safe.

Last edited:

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 14 and 20 gallon brute tubs that would work. I’m using a 20 as my sump. They have them in white and grey at lowes.
14 gal
20 gal

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being labeled "food safe" has its own strict FDA requirements, a manufacturer won't bother with the liability of the label for something life this. If anything about a pvc container isn't food safe its the type factory it was made in. An "FDA" facility has to constantly pay to prove there's no chance of contamination. Things like dust in the storage area,lunricants on the machines, workers not wearing gloves or lint free gowns, or not letting the plastic off gas before sending them out would prevent a "food safe" claim. If they did use plastisizers the chance of it actually leaching to a detectable level is very low, for it to then leach enough have any effect on the fish would be a freak occurrence.

...summary, rinse it, make sure theres no smell coming off, its safe.

Interesting, I have read in a few places that food safe HDPE is less likely to leach chemicals.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back