Orange Coralline algae?

Bigbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I know this isnt a critter but i thought it be appropriate for a "hitchhiker id". I have coralline starting to grow but there is something very similar except the color is neon orange. I added some pics for reference. It is starting to grow on equipment alongside purple coralline growth. Does anyone know what this orange growth is?
b3853a30912840f435d52220c46034e6.jpg
b58730c34abfd618bc7a8fba1f72c245.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I’ve had this before and I always thought it was another form of coraline.
I’d be happy to hear from someone that knows for sure

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see "orange coralline" spots on my purple coralline after my Asterina's have munched on it. Possibility?

OP
OP
Bigbaby

Bigbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see "orange coralline" spots on my purple coralline after my Asterina's have munched on it. Possibility?
Hmm thats interesting. Sounds like purple coralline can change to orange when it dies. I dont have asterinas so that doesnt seem to be the cause.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm thats interesting. Sounds like purple coralline can change to orange when it dies. I dont have asterinas so that doesnt seem to be the cause.
They actually don't kill the coralline. They just munch (scrape) the top off the algae and move on. A few days later the spot has healed and looks normal until the next pass.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline comes in an awful lot of colors; red, green, purple, pink - even blue. I'd be surprised if there weren't orange, but that may not be what you're seeing.

I find that when my coralline is stressed, such as coralline that's growing above the "low tide mark" during a water-change, or after I've soaked a powerhead in vinegar-laced hot water for a while, it'll turn fluorescent orange ... but only for that first night. After that, it's pretty much toast. (Until it grows back . . . )

~Bruce

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can 100% confirm that there is orange coralline. We have one rock with it in our reef tank. Its the only place it grows, and its the only orange coralline i have ever seen in my life.
20180420_102923.jpg
Its kind of hard to get a good pic of it under our blue t5's, but it is as orange as the reply button on this forum.

THX1138CY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline comes in an awful lot of colors; red, green, purple, pink - even blue. I'd be surprised if there weren't orange, but that may not be what you're seeing.

I find that when my coralline is stressed, such as coralline that's growing above the "low tide mark" during a water-change, or after I've soaked a powerhead in vinegar-laced hot water for a while, it'll turn fluorescent orange ... but only for that first night. After that, it's pretty much toast. (Until it grows back . . . )

~Bruce

Aye, whenever I pull out my Snails to clean the GHA/Bubble Algae off them, the RODI rinse I give the shell after always makes the coraline turn florescent orange initially, and then its all dead white the next day. Same thing happens to my powerhead that I pull when making a batch of water for a change.

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to all blue LEDs and I have quite a lot of florescent orange stuff. Wasn't noticeable under 50/50 lighting but actually looks really good.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to all blue LEDs and I have quite a lot of florescent orange stuff. Wasn't noticeable under 50/50 lighting but actually looks really good.
My coralline turns orange when I wash my weir combs in really hot freshwater, lol

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i agree with the above, life cycle for me is pink, purple, darker purple, orangish, then back to pink. Stacking on old

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back