orange filefish not eating

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an orange filefish from live aquaria over a week ago and I have had 0 luck getting him to eat. I've tried live brine shrimp along with frozen krill etc multiple times a day with no luck. All parameters are in check and the tank is well aged. Any advice? I purchased kent marine xtreme garlic which is supposed to entice them. I'm heading to the local fish store now to see what they have. Thanks for any help.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are notoriously difficult to get feeding. I've had no experience with them, but finicky eaters often are enticed by live foods. Live brine was a good choice, I'd try live blackworms. They eat coral polyps and feast on coral in the wild, so this can be problematic in home aquaria because A) we like our coral and B) we don't really want to supply it for this purpose.

Those that have been trained to eat frozen seem to have been lured in to doing so by mixing several frozen foods and adding garlic guard, for example. I always mix 10 or so frozen foods, microwave, strain, and add selcon, zoecon, vita chem, and garlic guard. I omit garlic guard once everyone is feeding as long-term effects of using garlic may be pretty negative, but I don't know that that has been completely substantiated- it's certainly true however that garlic wouldn't ordinarily be a part of their diet in the wild so I omit it when it is no longer needed for new additions.

The best plan of attack is to buy one that eats before you purchase it. Although this is no guarantee that it'll eat in a new environment, it certainly increases your odds.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its an orange spotted filefish I would take an dead sps miilpora or acropora and use mastic from BRS and cove the skeleton and see if that works. Mimicks the natural feeding of the fish.

kreefsupply.com/masstick-fish-food-easy-reefs.html

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read an articl about feeding a butterfly (i think it was a 4 spot) and feeding pocilopora then using the same coral after they have removed all the polyps covering using it as a tree stand for food. Think they used this coral because of growth rates and price point and in the wild are often the second choice for a lot of polyp eaters. As its the second most common genus of reef building corals in the ocean.

SomethingfishyPKNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are notoriously difficult to get feeding. I've had no experience with them, but finicky eaters often are enticed by live foods. Live brine was a good choice, I'd try live blackworms. They eat coral polyps and feast on coral in the wild, so this can be problematic in home aquaria because A) we like our coral and B) we don't really want to supply it for this purpose.

Those that have been trained to eat frozen seem to have been lured in to doing so by mixing several frozen foods and adding garlic guard, for example. I always mix 10 or so frozen foods, microwave, strain, and add selcon, zoecon, vita chem, and garlic guard. I omit garlic guard once everyone is feeding as long-term effects of using garlic may be pretty negative, but I don't know that that has been completely substantiated- it's certainly true however that garlic wouldn't ordinarily be a part of their diet in the wild so I omit it when it is no longer needed for new additions.

The best plan of attack is to buy one that eats before you purchase it. Although this is no guarantee that it'll eat in a new environment, it certainly increases your odds.
Do you know a source for live blackworms?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the thorough reply. Certainly some good pointers. Hard to know how they are eating when purchasing offline so that is one downside to it. I can tell he was hungry when he arrived. He has sunken sides. I hope I can get something to work soon! Thanks again!

ech0o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best bet is to take a gel based food, or use floss to tie frozen brine or mysis around dead SPS skeleton. They ONLY eat acropora polyps in the wild, and will generally pick at the skeleton especially if there is meaty food on it. I have heard of some success with Masstick too, though hit and miss.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because you bought an orange spotted filefish. Not a very easy fish unless you have plenty of coral to feed it.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because you bought an orange spotted filefish. Not a very easy fish unless you have plenty of coral to feed it.

I knew it was a picky eater, but I figured I had the means to feed live food and get him fat and happy. I am happy to report, he finally started eating. :)

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best bet is to take a gel based food, or use floss to tie frozen brine or mysis around dead SPS skeleton. They ONLY eat acropora polyps in the wild, and will generally pick at the skeleton especially if there is meaty food on it. I have heard of some success with Masstick too, though hit and miss.

Actually you are wrong, I have seen orange spotted filefish eat from pocci at my local public aquarium. btw check it out its SEA aquarium, coralfish12g has a video visiting there

Ryhiem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you get him to eat? I'm working with gel food and frozen food on a coral skeleton. Would like to know what was successful for you? And how is the orangespot filefish doing?

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you get him to eat? I'm working with gel food and frozen food on a coral skeleton. Would like to know what was successful for you? And how is the orangespot filefish doing?
Unfortunately, I unsuccessfully got him to eat. I returned him to the LFS so they could hopefully get him eating and I never received an update. I’d like to think he’s in someone’s tank enjoying life. Hope you have better success. Very beautiful fish.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, mine was not a captive bred species. I’m pretty sure it was taken from the ocean and didn’t know that until after I received it. That could have been a large part of the problem.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back