Orchid dottyback compatibility?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon red sea. I have 2 midnight clowns, a blue spot goby, and 1 firefish (was 2 firefish but one died, got killed by the evil pistol shrimp, etc). I want to replace the firefish, but I read that you can't add another firefish. They need to be bonded.

I was at the LFS today, and he had a few captive bred orchid dottybacks (they are orchids, they have the stripe over their eyes). From what I can research, the orchids are the most peaceful, the yellow and magenta are aggressive. Has anyone kept one of these? Any issues with my stock list? I know clowns can be a problem, but mine keep to themselves and don't bother the firefish or the goby.

Last edited by a moderator:

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orchids are absolutely beautiful!
They are the least evil of the dottybacks.
It's kind of like describing the least evil damsel fish.
[emoji6]

A Royal gramma would be a better compatibility choice and you have room from maybe one more small fish later on in that 32 gallon tank.
It is kind of a toss up which will be less of a problem later to the new fish.
How small is the orchid?
Tiny helps with this.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got both a Royal Gramma and an Orchid Dottyback in a tank with two clowns and no problem behaviors. Plenty of hiding spaces seems to be important in supporting their compatibility. BTW, I also have a orange back fairy wrasse in with them and get some spectacular color contrasts with the purples and oranges...………….and I'm not an LSU fan!

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orchids are absolutely beautiful!
They are the least evil of the dottybacks.
It's kind of like describing the least evil damsel fish.
[emoji6]

A Royal gramma would be a better compatibility choice and you have room from maybe one more small fish later on in that 32 gallon tank.
It is kind of a toss up which will be less of a problem later to the new fish.
How small is the orchid?
Tiny helps with this.
I've heard the grammas could be a problem.

The orchid is about an inch and a half. The same size as the firefish.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either Royal Gramma or Orcid dottyback would be fine. Royal Gramma are all bark with no bite, but will loose color in captivity. Orchid Dottyback is a better choice. They are docile and will never bother any other fish. They will retain their brilliance color if you give them reasonable diet. You can keep two orchid dottyback and they will change sex as needed to form a pair.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they are perhaps the most peaceful dottyback, it will still claim a territory and defend it. This is more of an issue in a smaller tank. The orchid may or may not be a problem for the firefish.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they are perhaps the most peaceful dottyback, it will still claim a territory and defend it. This is more of an issue in a smaller tank. The orchid may or may not be a problem for the firefish.
My thoughts exactly. Any slender dottyback shaped fish could be an issue. Some more fragile wrasse may not fare well with them either.

Personally I’ve seen little aggression from dottybacks but their aggression is well-documented. My orchid is pretty timid but it’s small and with a myriad of larger, more intimidating fish.

nhlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly. Any slender dottyback shaped fish could be an issue. Some more fragile wrasse may not fare well with them either.

Personally I’ve seen little aggression from dottybacks but their aggression is well-documented. My orchid is pretty timid but it’s small and with a myriad of larger, more intimidating fish.

My ORA Splendid Dottyback will defend his “cave” mainly against the Aiptasia Eating Filefish. The Filefish just shows his sandpaper sides and holds his own. However, I have decided against adding any other species except for perhaps a bottom goby. This is for a 60 cube. Bottom line, the dottybacks are pretty ornery critters.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon red sea. I have 2 midnight clowns, a blue spot goby, and 1 firefish (was 2 firefish but one died, got killed by the evil pistol shrimp, etc). I want to replace the firefish, but I read that you can't add another firefish. They need to be bonded.

I was at the LFS today, and he had a few captive bred orchid dottybacks (they are orchids, they have the stripe over their eyes). From what I can research, the orchids are the most peaceful, the yellow and magenta are aggressive. Has anyone kept one of these? Any issues with my stock list? I know clowns can be a problem, but mine keep to themselves and don't bother the firefish or the goby.

In a 32 gallon cube, there might be some issues with the firefish. Orchids are considered the best of the Dottybacks but they can still be assertive and Firefish are arguably the most skittish fish in the hobby. I agree with eatbreakfast, the Royal Gramma is much more capable of taking care of itself than the firefish. Firefish are beautiful, but they almost ask to be bullied by being scared of their own shadow. It's one of the reasons I will never own another dartfish again (used to have a Purple Firefish and a Scissortail).

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 32 gallon cube, there might be some issues with the firefish. Orchids are considered the best of the Dottybacks but they can still be assertive and Firefish are arguably the most skittish fish in the hobby. I agree with eatbreakfast, the Royal Gramma is much more capable of taking care of itself than the firefish. Firefish are beautiful, but they almost ask to be bullied by being scared of their own shadow. It's one of the reasons I will never own another dartfish again (used to have a Purple Firefish and a Scissortail).
Maybe I got a good firefish, but he doesn't even hide when I put my hands in the tank for maintenance.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the orchid, but I had three indigos for years and they were very good with each other and everyone in the tank. They were all added together as juveniles.

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orchid dottyback i added to my tank about 2 months ago , its an 80 gallon community tank, mixed reef corals , no problems at all

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Give it hiding. Mine has its' own spot and guards it religiously. Very hardy and peaceful it is.

02262006OrchidDottybackCloseup1.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back