Orchid dottyback stole jawfish burrow!

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home tonight to discover my pearly jawfish frantically digging a new home. He’s been in the same borrow since he went in the tank a couple months ago (and he picked the perfect place too, sigh) At first I thought maybe he was going to try to link the two, but then I noticed the orchid dottyback’s head peaking out of the original borrow! I threw some food in and both came out and the orchid bullied the jawfish a bit before going back into the burrow.

Anyone seen this before? I didn’t think the orchid would steal and defend a burrow. Maybe I should try to discourage him... Collapse the tunnel or something when it’s out. Anyway, thought this was bizarre/interesting enough behavior to share.

1bb1814d961f57b94cacb894d79e708b.jpg

You can see the orchid is defending the original burrow and the jawfish is in front of where he’s trying to make a new one.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I waited for the orchid to come out and I filled in the top part of the borrow. The jawfish immediately went back and dug out the top and went into the old burrow. The orchid came back, blasted into the tunnel past the gaping jawfish mouth, both fish disappeared for a bit and then the jawfish came running out being attacked by the dottyback. The dottyback is acting kind of like a jawfish now. Head partially out of the tunnel. So bizarre.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pink spot goby that used to steal my jawfish’s burrow. It is upsetting - jawfish are so personable. I put some small pieces of live rock to make a new “mini cave” in a spot far away from the stolen burrow (opposite side of tank). Then to further tempt the jawfish I added a little pile of empty shells by this new mini cave. Jawfish love “building materials”. It tempted the jawfish to relocate.

The jawfish will pick a new location probably. It may not be in the spot you try to lure him to. But wherever the jawfish goes, give him a little pile of shells by his burrow. That helps them feel secure. He will use the shells and use one (or 2) as a door. Jawfish love to peer out in caves with 2 entrances especially.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pink spot goby that used to steal my jawfish’s burrow. It is upsetting - jawfish are so personable. I put some small pieces of live rock to make a new “mini cave” in a spot far away from the stolen burrow (opposite side of tank). Then to further tempt the jawfish I added a little pile of empty shells by this new mini cave. Jawfish love “building materials”. It tempted the jawfish to relocate.

The jawfish will pick a new location probably. It may not be in the spot you try to lure him to. But wherever the jawfish goes, give him a little pile of shells by his burrow. That helps them feel secure. He will use the shells and use one (or 2) as a door. Jawfish love to peer out in caves with 2 entrances especially.

Thanks. Yes, it is upsetting. He was front and center of a five foot tank. I’ll try to lure him like you said.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yes, it is upsetting. He was front and center of a five foot tank. I’ll try to lure him like you said.
I know. I always tried to entice him to pick a burrow in the front because I love to watch my jawfish! It usually works. They are curious fish and like to observe what is going on around them from the safety of their burrow. If he does build in the back don’t be disappointed. He might be more cryptic for awhile due to the dottyback. But mine always ends up back up front. They like to watch everybody & be able to snatch food easily.

Once my jawfish grabbed a small gorgonian coral frag & placed it in front of his cave. This was when the pink spot kept trying to steal his cave. It was funny. It looked like he put up a barbed wire fence. Over time the pink spot left him alone.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is surprising that the orchid stole the burrow.

Eva is 100% correct on providing rubble. They use everybit they can. By having rubble ready it will make his eviction less stressful.

I, too, have found them to be extremely nosey, so even if he moves to the back, will shortly move back to the front.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is surprising that the orchid stole the burrow.

Eva is 100% correct on providing rubble. They use everybit they can. By having rubble ready it will make his eviction less stressful.

I, too, have found them to be extremely nosey, so even if he moves to the back, will shortly move back to the front.

He’s dug about three new dens, all in the front, the orchid had apparently chased him from each. Both are looking slightly torn up from battling. It’s a reefer 525xl... plenty of space, so bizarre. Currently the jawfish is hanging out in the front, burrowless, but apparently resolved to stay in the open.

This is just plain weird. Ha

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. If they hv been fighting I would rehome the dottyback. Jawfish will be stressed if he has to stay in the open.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have rock with holes small enough to let the orchid dottyback sneak into it should live there. But that burrow has a very strategic place with a lot of sight where food might come.
The orchids love to have a place or two they can hide in or sit watching the neighbourhood. Even if they are swimming around most of the time. Normally thats in a rock.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have rock with holes small enough to let the orchid dottyback sneak into it should live there. But that burrow has a very strategic place with a lot of sight where food might come.
The orchids love to have a place or two they can hide in or sit watching the neighbourhood. Even if they are swimming around most of the time. Normally thats in a rock.

This one is special. There are plenty of rocks, it’s a 100 plus gallon tank. He violently evicts the jawfish from any hole he digs, but he leaves it alone if it’s out in the water column. I’m not sure what to make of it. Ha

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are individuals. As far as dottyback go, the orchid is recommended as one of the dottyback that can be put into a community tank. But if this continues your individual orchid is being aggressive to the jawfish.

As @Maritimer mentioned use a fish trap. I have caught aggressive, quick fish in one using the mirror technique he mentions.
Before you put trap in tank practice with the door trigger (make sure it will close correctly/quickly).
Let orchid go into trap , You can even let him go in one or two times. Once he is occupied with his reflection snatch the trap.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to watch it for a couple more days, if it doesn’t stop, I agree, the orchid will go. Also agree about individual temperaments. I’ve had bad tempered fish by reputation be easy going, but this is the first I’ve had a typically good reputation fish go rouge in non-crowded circumstances. Keeps things interesting.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if your orchid is a captive bred? My captive bred orchid is the wimpiest fish I own, in what I think is a peaceful tank. Orchid is bullied by a linespot flasher wrasse. Orchid leaves my 4” black cap jawfish alone. Dustin

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have phrased it “since this has continued’. I would not let it go on a couple of days. Some fish like tangs can handle some aggressive behavior for short periods.
Jawfish are not like tangs. The jawfish is without his natural protection & the jawfish knows it is vulnerable with an aggressive fish. So as long as the jawfish is in that situation it is very detrimental to the jawfish.
So bottom line the best advice is get the jawfish to a safe separate tank or catch the dottyback asap. It’s not a situation to wait & let them work it out.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if your orchid is a captive bred? My captive bred orchid is the wimpiest fish I own, in what I think is a peaceful tank. Orchid is bullied by a linespot flasher wrasse. Orchid leaves my 4” black cap jawfish alone. Dustin

It was sold as captive bred. It should be wimpy. It must be afflicted with ASPD.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have phrased it “since this has continued’. I would not let it go on a couple of days. Some fish like tangs can handle some aggressive behavior for short periods.
Jawfish are not like tangs. The jawfish is without his natural protection & the jawfish knows it is vulnerable with an aggressive fish. So as long as the jawfish is in that situation it is very detrimental to the jawfish.
So bottom line the best advice is get the jawfish to a safe separate tank or catch the dottyback asap. It’s not a situation to wait & let them work it out.

Hear you. Not able to do that until at least tomorrow night. Not physically able. Will keep this updated. Thanks for all your advice.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back