Ordering fish from LFS

  • Thread starter Thread starter cba191
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Good from what?

Parasites, shipping-related deaths, or something else?
 
If the concern is parasites, then no. I wouldn’t trust most LFS to do a proper QT. I’d do it myself or buy them elsewhere that does the QT for you (like Dr. Reef)
 
When you order fish from an lfs, do you have them hang on to them for a while to make sure everything is good?
I always ask them to get it feeding if it isn’t already, or if it’s a truly sensitive species then I’ll hold them back until settled, but aside from that, I don’t do it a ton personally.
 
If I ask them to special order I like to pick them up when the order arrives at the store still bagged from the supplier. I do a visual inspection then bring them home and place them into observation. It saves the fish from having to be acclimated twice and my LFS gives a good discount because the burden of keeping the fish alive becomes my responsibility.
 
@exnisstech stole my thought. I tell them 'let me know when the bag arrives, and I'l be right there.' Then I bring a bucket and a battery operated airstone for the ride home. Quarantine at home is next.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new