Ordering Wild Acropora without Seeing it ?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I know a reefer who orders Whole sale. The acropora he’s able to order is significantly cheaper than store. The only downside is he has no way of confirming what I’ll get. Is this a gamble not worth taking hundreds of dollars ? Has anyone ordered like this .

thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I know a reefer who orders Whole sale. The acropora he’s able to order is significantly cheaper than store. The only downside is he has no way of confirming what I’ll get. Is this a gamble not worth taking hundreds of dollars ? Has anyone ordered like this .

thanks
Think twice as mariculture coral is cheap and looks nice but are not forgiving versus aquaculture coral which is used to our salts, water, lighting, etc

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s he same place all these LFS buy though right

Places like Battlecorals and Cultivated reef Aquaculture corals. They have adapted over the years to captive life.

My LFS gets aquacultured SPS corals from Boom Corals and whatever people trade in.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean.. you will have some losses for sure.. but sometimes there are gems yes.. but the risk is to receive the "standard" acros and not the real gems.

You can try it out once and see if it makes you happy?

But Id suggest a real nice stable system and good good dipping :)

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Golden Ina years ago and they were very good. Not sure if they're still kicking but was happy with every order. I did use water strait out of the Gulf and slowly acclimated them to captive care. Softies, lps pretty simple with acros being tricky sometimes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That’s he same place all these LFS buy though right
Not necessarily. I had an LFS and ordered aquaculture only as I could guarantee them. Mariculture is generally placed in shallow waters and exposed to bright sunlight and not accustomed to LED spectrums and often bleach, lose tissue or RTN
It depends with LFS who their supplier is

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the stuff we get here comes right out of Indonesia to my knowledge...I'd first of all be wary of how well it'll adapt to aquarium life (i prefer to buy pieces already encrusted over the base so I know they've been in captivity for a reasonable amount of time)...I'd never buy any coral I've never even seen though. You have 0 guarantee it will be particularly desirable or even in good shape once you get it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back