Oregon and Washington LFS

arotbart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any good LFS on the Oregon Coast and/or Seattle area? Heading out there later this week and would love to drop in....Flying into Portland and driving to Eugene, then hitting the coast and up to Seattle.....

illcssd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portland:
Saltwater fanta-seas - Most fish selection in Wa/Or, Lots of coral, free drinks
Upscales--Best display in pdx, lots of coral.
Rose city aquarium--has some decent corals, very few fish.

Seattle:
Only shop at one place up there, Barrier reef aquarium- Nicest overall shop in the NW imo.

JimmyK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only shop Portland metro but the list above is dead on... In my opinion Upscales is a must if you have limited time and can't hit all the shops...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Saltwater City in Bellevue is another good one, not far from Barrier Reef in Renton

brannock_16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barrier Reef is a very clean shop with reasonable prices. When I visited from out of town I kind of got the cold shoulder and condescending tone from employees...but they may have been having an off day.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upscales for sure.....I would totally pass on sea horse, saltwater fantasies, and a few others.....if I were you here is where I would hit....

Upscales Portland area (tigard)
Premium Aquarium (salem)
Totally exotic corals of Oregon (Med Ford) coastal may not be possible
Oceans in a box (Vancouver)
Barrier reef
Saltwater fantasies ONLY if you are looking for fish.

Thats it......the rest will be a waste of time. The list is in order of best to worst in my experiences. I am originally from L.A. and got used to real fish stores with real selections and nice corals.....those I listed are the only ones out here that are similar or at least close to what I am used to.

Upscales is about as close to vivid aquariums as it can get out here.....if Vivid were out here it would be the only place I would go.

Deviate from this list and you run a strong possibility of wasting your time. Trust me dude....I live out here and wouldn't waste the 20 minutes to go to some of the others.

Last edited:

mytshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean in a box in Vancouver WA has the best selection of corals. If you are looking for particular corals our local forum is pnwmas.org. corals and fish are really well priced in Oregon compared to some other places I've been

Last edited:

illcssd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upscales for sure.....I would totally pass on sea horse, saltwater fantasies, and a few others.....if I were you here is where I would hit....

Upscales Portland area (tigard)
Premium Aquarium (salem)
Totally exotic corals of Oregon (Med Ford) coastal may not be possible
Oceans in a box (Vancouver)
Barrier reef
Saltwater fantasies ONLY if you are looking for fish.

Thats it......the rest will be a waste of time. The list is in order of best to worst in my experiences. I am originally from L.A. and got used to real fish stores with real selections and nice corals.....those I listed are the only ones out here that are similar or at least close to what I am used to.

Upscales is about as close to vivid aquariums as it can get out here.....if Vivid were out here it would be the only place I would go.

Deviate from this list and you run a strong possibility of wasting your time. Trust me dude....I live out here and wouldn't waste the 20 minutes to go to some of the others.

Saltwater fantaseas ime has actually upped their coral selection recently. Having just moved their still working on everything but it's getting better.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barrier Reef is a very clean shop with reasonable prices. When I visited from out of town I kind of got the cold shoulder and condescending tone from employees...but they may have been having an off day.

That's very unusual for the Barrier Reef crew. Maybe you're right and they were having an off day. Cy, Chris, Brie and the entire crew have always been completely helpful and cheerful every time I've been there and I go a lot! We travel 300 miles, ONE WAY, on a regular basis to visit Barrier Reef, several times each year. For this reason, I'd highly recommend them to anyone living or visiting the area!

OP
OP
arotbart

arotbart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on barrier reef. Left a little while ago, and will have a care package at my door on wednesday:)

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on barrier reef. Left a little while ago, and will have a care package at my door on wednesday:)

Glad to hear! We'll be over there on the 20th. Barrier Reef is hosting the PSAS Club meeting and we'll be attending.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to Cabellas in Lacey on Saturday, do any of you Seattleites recommend any good LFS's to get fish at? I know everyone's favorite is Barrier Reef but I doubt that I'll have time to drive out there.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to Cabellas in Lacey on Saturday, do any of you Seattleites recommend any good LFS's to get fish at? I know everyone's favorite is Barrier Reef but I doubt that I'll have time to drive out there.

Make time! lol

RedSeaAquarium would also be a good choice but I don't think it'd be any closer.

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you are dead on with that. Great inventory of critters, good selection of equipment and 'dry goods', but certainly lacking in people skills.
Saltwater City in Bellevue and The Fish Store in the U Dist are also worth a visit
IMHO

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back