Oregon Tort: A True Survivor

njmaddreefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2025
Messages
159
Reaction score
157
Location
Andover
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this coral 6-8 months.

It’s survived everything life has thrown at it: Dinos, Emergency Tank Swaps, Blackouts, high nutrients, low nutrients, alk spikes and dips, and new tank issues…

Everytime I look at this coral I think to myself: what a champ!

Can we call this frag a mini colony yet?

20251031_010227_C9BB6A2C-5694-49A0-8852-D94502F581EF.png
 
looks pretty healthy too. I guess if you name it “mini colony” you could call it that :)
it’ll get there, give it time.
I got you! I’m that case, I will name him “Mini-C”

😆
 
I got this coral 6-8 months.

It’s survived everything life has thrown at it: Dinos, Emergency Tank Swaps, Blackouts, high nutrients, low nutrients, alk spikes and dips, and new tank issues…

Everytime I look at this coral I think to myself: what a champ!

Can we call this frag a mini colony yet?

20251031_010227_C9BB6A2C-5694-49A0-8852-D94502F581EF.png
Glad it has been with you through all the ups and downs with your tank!
 
That’s a beautiful acro. Unfortunately, It was not a survivor for me.

Darn! I'm sure you got some stories you can share about a couple bullet proof corals in your tank though.

I'm curious, what do you think finished your Oregon Tort - was it a pest?
 
They are awesome when they get bigger. I always have one in my systems.
One in my 15g and 2 in my 150.
Not colonies yet but this is one from my old 80g growout system.
20230730_085002.jpg
 
They are awesome when they get bigger. I always have one in my systems.
One in my 15g and 2 in my 150.
Not colonies yet but this is one from my old 80g growout system.
20230730_085002.jpg
I love the shape and growth pattern on this piece 🤩
 
Lost my frag of Oregon tort, anyone know where yo get one?
 
Darn! I'm sure you got some stories you can share about a couple bullet proof corals in your tank though.

I'm curious, what do you think finished your Oregon Tort - was it a pest?
That’s an old question, but better late than never! I don’t think it was a pest. All the other acros in the shot are still alive.

Oregon Tort is the bright blue spike in the upper left corner.
Jan ‘23:
IMG_0502.jpeg

A lot of the acros have been trimmed and moved around, but here’s the right side of the tank today.

Nov ‘25
IMG_2491.jpeg
 
That’s an old question, but better late than never! I don’t think it was a pest. All the other acros in the shot are still alive.

Oregon Tort is the bright blue spike in the upper left corner.
Jan ‘23:
IMG_0502.jpeg

A lot of the acros have been trimmed and moved around, but here’s the right side of the tank today.

Nov ‘25
IMG_2491.jpeg

So odd when one coral just doesn’t make it. Is that a Garf bonsai on the upper right ‘23 picture 😍😍
 
That is a Garf Bonsai, one of my favorites! It’s on the far right, down on the sand, in the recent pic.

Here it is under halides at its peak.
IMG_1192.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new