Oregon tort

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Oregon tort for about 6 months now and I noticed the new growth is looking a lot better than the original frag. Seems like the top half is withering away but hard to tell. Any thoughts?

435ca
8.8alk
.09po4
5-10ppm nitrate

IMG_2575.jpeg

IMG_2576.jpeg

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, looks like other SPS are struggling also.
Do you do water changes?
What's your maintenance schedule look like?
Par and flow?

Edit: use activated carbon? That is a big leather in the background.
The other sps is doing well outside of a small piece of Digi. Stylo, green goblin, golden rod, pink Cadillac acro, all seem to be doing well.

I do 15-20% water change every week. No carbon. Test weekly. Par, I’m not sure, I use two ai primes on a 20g tank.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a tough coral for me. I've had a frag in my tank for well over a year and while all other SPS frags are fully encrusted on the rock where they are placed the tort has just barely, and I mean barely started to show a slight amount of growth on the bottom. It won't die but as stagnant as it is I almost wish it would So I could pull it and move on lol.
This is mine. The mayagi tort upper right was a smaller frag than the the oregon when I put it in and it was placed in the tank after the Oregon tort. I don't get it :thinking-face:
20231005_104130.jpg

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a tough coral for me. I've had a frag in my tank for well over a year and while all other SPS frags are fully encrusted on the rock where they are placed the tort has just barely, and I mean barely started to show a slight amount of growth on the bottom. It won't die but as stagnant as it is I almost wish it would So I could pull it and move on lol.
This is mine. The mayagi tort upper right was a smaller frag than the the oregon when I put it in and it was placed in the tank after the Oregon tort. I don't get it :thinking-face:
20231005_104130.jpg
Yeah it has been a slow grower but has also encrusted the rock nicely so far in my tank. I got mine as a fresh cut frag from a huge colony so it took some time to adjust. I’ll likely just leave mine be for now.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it has been a slow grower but has also encrusted the rock nicely so far in my tank. I got mine as a fresh cut frag from a huge colony so it took some time to adjust. I’ll likely just leave mine be for now.
Same. They fragged an entire colony at the LFS and the frags there were growing like weeds. I guess it's just another coral that won't grow in my tank added to the list. I have another tank with a bunch of sps frags that are doing great. I may go ahead and put it on a plug and move it over. I'm not sure about sps but I've had some lps that deflate and start to wither away in one tank and I move them to another tank and they fully inflate in 24 hours. Maybe I'll have similar luck if I move this one.

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. They fragged an entire colony at the LFS and the frags there were growing like weeds. I guess it's just another coral that won't grow in my tank added to the list. I have another tank with a bunch of sps frags that are doing great. I may go ahead and put it on a plug and move it over. I'm not sure about sps but I've had some lps that deflate and start to wither away in one tank and I move them to another tank and they fully inflate in 24 hours. Maybe I'll have similar luck if I move this one.
Nice that’s rad and often is the right move! Sometimes I’ll move struggling coral into my lesser maintained tank and they flourish haha.

How long have you had your tort?

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be that or over abundant nutrients like to much aminos too.
Ok that’s interesting. I usually feed a frozen slurry of mysis, brine shrimp, pellets, reef roid, and aminos. Fish food and coral food in one cube but maybe it’s too much overall.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very slow at getting started.
I mounted mine sideways. It curled up and now it's basing out again. I've had it since may of 2022. This pic is at about 9 months.

20221201_170329.jpg

I thought your other SPS were struggling because of this pic. Screenshot_20231005_114430_Chrome.jpg

They look washed out and hair looks too be taking over.
I would try some GAC. That leather can shed and the GAC will pick up the toxins.

Do you have a full tank shot?

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had OT in my reef for almost 20 years. Just my opinion, but I think it is highly specialized having been raised in aquariums for quite some time now so I feel it likes actinic lighting, super clean water, and hates leather corals. No proof just my gut instinct:

OT from circa 2000 in an Oregon LFS

OregonT.jpg

My colony circa 2011

BestTort2.jpg

2017.Zenith.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had OT in my reef for almost 20 years. Just my opinion, but I think it is highly specialized having been raised in aquariums for quite some time now so I feel it likes actinic lighting, super clean water, and hates leather corals. No proof just my gut instinct:

OregonT.jpg

My colony circa 2011

BestTort2.jpg

2017.Zenith.JPG
Awesome colony!!! That’s a good assessment I think. I have a huge toadstool leather and run the water with fair amount of nutrient.

Noticed the browning start as I got my nutrients up over time from zero to where they are now.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OregonT.jpg

My colony circa 2011

BestTort2.jpg

2017.Zenith.JPG
Why actinic lighting? I thought you used to blast your colony with Metal halide lol.

realreef7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've grown my current one from an 1" frag to a size of a lemon in 1.5 years. I'd say they like light (t5), moderate flow and a fair amount of nutrients. I'm running 0 nitrates, .4 phosphates, 9 alk, 400ish cal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back