Orphek Atlantik v4

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating 2 Orphek Atlantik V4s on a 48 x 22 x 22 peninsula... or... two Kessil 360s (possibly the newer 360x) with T5s. Anyone have any technical insights on the pros and cons? I know T5s are warmer and have to be replaced, a big consideration. Orphek, unfortunately, is not compatible, nor do they plan to be I'm told by the company, with Apex - Kessil is compatible. Orphek may also have a bit of a disco-effect, though unlikely with two units? Thoughts anyone?

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Orpheks as far as performance goes. Corals have responded really well and lighting is very even. I’m more of a 10-14k guy and these lights produce a really nice daylight. If you’re a Windex blacklight person, I think you’ll be blown away with the blues and UV channels. I like the programability and the app is pretty nice. Not a big deal that they don’t work with my Apex.

I have had a few problems with my V4s and two other people I know have had the same problem. The problem is that the UV diodes(380 nm) in the fixtures cannot handle the heat or they simply burn out with a super short life span. I know what you’re thinking......that you can’t see UV and that they may be lit. Nope, the whole channel goes off (channel 3). I jump the diode with a wire to isolate the bad diode. It’s been one of the two UV diodes on three different occasions. Twice in one fixture and once in another. I know another guy with three fixtures with the same issue in all three. Another guy with two fixtures.....same thing.

Now...the Ophek folks have been very responsive (great people to deal with). They sent diodes twice, replaced one fixture, and replaced the board with the diodes on another. This is great, but it involves me taking down my light rig, opening up the fixtures, and either soldering diodes or replacing a part.

Would I buy these again, I think so. I like the spread of lights more than single-point. I think these fixtures are a lot of coverage/power for the money and competitors don’t compare. Just need to get that UV diode issue figured out. Maybe they already have?

DiazE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine :p
New member at r2r looking to get back in the hobby. Have been researching oprhek atlantik to replace the now unsupported Vertex Illumina 360.
See you bought a while back. How the light on growth and any problems? Would appreciate reply and some growth pics.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member at r2r looking to get back in the hobby. Have been researching oprhek atlantik to replace the now unsupported Vertex Illumina 360.
See you bought a while back. How the light on growth and any problems? Would appreciate reply and some growth pics.

No problems here. Gigas clam likes them.

Growth pics with one superimposed matching the ridges.
600FC02D-7A59-40E5-9153-7AE5D66B68BE.jpeg
3564E5FE-FB62-4671-BF38-7CBCF412CBA4.jpeg

DiazE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything new regarding Orphek Atlantic V4 issues?
Warranty/Replacement on defects
UV diodes going bad.
Customer service.

Have read whole thread and personally conclude the Orphek is killer coral grower but as of january of 2020 still reading negatives on them since 2017.

Where is there a comparison to Radion 30 G5 on R2R? Already screwed on a Vertex 360 with no support.

Info, convincing, opinions and more growth pics appreciated before I convince my accountant wife on more spending.

Is there an Orphek fan thread or club here?

Back