Orphek Atlantik v4

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so far yes! Ordered a second one but obviously won't see it until July when I return from training. Seems very high quality and many of my corals are showing colors they didn't before!
Thank You!

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You!
I lied. The software for this thing blows. Definitely needs some tuning. When it works its fine but if it stops working it is the biggest pain in the butt. And i work in IT for a living. It shouldnt take me 3 computers and 4 hours to reconnect the light to the software.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lied. The software for this thing blows. Definitely needs some tuning. When it works its fine but if it stops working it is the biggest pain in the ***. And i work in IT for a living. It shouldnt take me 3 computers and 4 hours to reconnect the light to the software.
Thanks for being honest and that's good to know. That kinda like when the Hydra HD's first came out.
Have you talked to GHL about it or reached out to Slief?

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In contact with Vinny right now via email.

The software was a breeze initially, hooked it up, everything installed and connected right away. I configured the light the way i wanted and we were set.

Last night i went into MyGHL (the could based control for the light) and somehow started cloud similation on my light (there is no way to shut this off it seems in myghl btw)

Today i tried to plug the light into a laptop. The first one wouldnt connect or install correctly due to the fact that windows was missing a Com/Port driver.

Next laptop, installed fine but the software would not connect to the light and the computer saw something was plugged in but would not install the mitras software (also no where to be found on their website for a manual install)

Now i took everything down and brought it to my desktop downstairs. Connected fine but instantly got a message about how the light was reset to factory settings! Oh what fun.

Still unable to connect the light to GCC (installed control software) via wifi. Even though i have the light set with a static ip address on my router and i can ping it just fine.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry and please keep us updated.

A lot of us have high hopes on that light and we can see (for ourselves) how GHL addresses this "now known" and very frustrating issue with their software.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry and please keep us updated.

A lot of us have high hopes on that light and we can see (for ourselves) how GHL addresses this "now known" and very frustrating issue with their software.

So far i have everything working again. Plus the wireless control via the software.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had v3's since they came out. Have them on a 24 inch deep tank and am very happy with the growth of my sps some of which are at the bottom of the tank. Have 2 of them on a 72" tank and have coral growing from one end to the other.

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following. I hope they come up with a swivel for the mounting arms so you can orient the fixtures parallel as opposed to the perpendicular set up they have now.

Where do you find the Orphek mounting arms?

BobNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those using the V4 on 72" tanks. Does your tank have braces? I have a Aqueon 125g with two top braces. I am thinking of using 2 V4's which would end up above the braces. My other option would be 3 of the V4 compact. One over each of the 24" wide sections between the braces.
I'm deciding between the Orphek and Radion XR30G4 Pro's. I am leaning toward the Orphek because of the non puck design.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those using the V4 on 72" tanks. Does your tank have braces? I have a Aqueon 125g with two top braces. I am thinking of using 2 V4's which would end up above the braces. My other option would be 3 of the V4 compact. One over each of the 24" wide sections between the braces.
I'm deciding between the Orphek and Radion XR30G4 Pro's. I am leaning toward the Orphek because of the non puck design.
I have two of the older Orphek v2.1b over a 72 x 30 x30 with a very large center brace and they appear to work fine.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H Have glass center brace which does impact light intensity. However some of my corals seem to prefer it under there including several acro's

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H Have glass center brace which does impact light intensity. However some of my corals seem to prefer it under there including several acro's
I agree enough where it is slightly noticeable but does not seem to hurt coral growth. If I could afford a third light I would have 3 but not because of length but for the 30 inches front to back. If I ever do another tank, small chance, I will stick to 24" deep. This is not because of lighting but it is too hard to reach the bottom with my hand and hard to trim SPS growing on very bottom. I need to move some corals that are now being shaded by my monti caps but can't reach them even with tongs. Time to remove all monti caps and my only chalice.

BobNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guy's, I have thought about doing 3 fixtures. My tank is only 18" from front to back and 22" deep. I think that 3 V4's may be way too much? Also mounting three of them from the ceiling is a lot of cables. The tank is in a main room in our house. I am pretty sure my wife will hate the way that looks. I have thought of trying to figure a way to join multiple fixtures together so I can hang them with just one set of cables. I have the cables from My current lighting (60" ATI T5) in the ceiling already. It would be great to be able to use it's locations for new lighting.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back