Orphek Atlantik v4

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
With the V4 on the back and 2 x V3 across the front.
Bill
I have two of the version 2.1b over my 250 gallon tank. I have never had a problem with the lights. Did have a problem when I upgraded the Android app but they responded to my email almost immediately and sent me a new app within hours. I can and do grow SPS on the bottom of the tank which is 39" away from the light. I can and do also grow LPS at the top of the tank about 16" away from the light. The lights are mounted 9-10" above the tank. I have two over a six foot tank 30 inches front to back. If I could afford it I would upgrade or replace my lights to the new V4.

Thle009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the version 2.1b over my 250 gallon tank. I have never had a problem with the lights. Did have a problem when I upgraded the Android app but they responded to my email almost immediately and sent me a new app within hours. I can and do grow SPS on the bottom of the tank which is 39" away from the light. I can and do also grow LPS at the top of the tank about 16" away from the light. The lights are mounted 9-10" above the tank. I have two over a six foot tank 30 inches front to back. If I could afford it I would upgrade or replace my lights to the new V4.
How did you get the new app? I got an Email just within last month telling me to get an Apple phone or buy one of their tablet.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce
For me the 2.1b has the best spectrum and I could grow anything under them especially night time viewing and was sent a new app which worked ok.
Thle009
I have managed to get a wolverine frag which comes tomorrow so will be interesting to see how it goes as ive read a lot of people lose them .
Bill

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get the new app? I got an Email just within last month telling me to get an Apple phone or buy one of their tablet.
the version I have will not work with Apple, Android only. They had come out with a new app for it, long time ago and it had a glitch So they sent me a link. The apps can be downloaded from their web site. Be sure you use the right app for your tablet or phone.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce
For me the 2.1b has the best spectrum and I could grow anything under them especially night time viewing and was sent a new app which worked ok.
Thle009
I have managed to get a wolverine frag which comes tomorrow so will be interesting to see how it goes as ive read a lot of people lose them .
Bill
Just curious what your program is. Would like to see your setting.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Bill
Beautiful tank. Excellent camera too.
i dont know how you did it. Corals growing well and looks fantastic under 100% led.
Lots.of folks say in long term, sps dont do well under led lid only tank but i guess you can prove their sayings were wrong. This or your Led , i can even see coraline even growing on the sand too.
Looking at you tank makes me want to dump my ATI hybrid in the trash and to go with LED.
Looking great and thanks for shaing.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Excellent camera too.
i dont know how you did it. Corals growing well and looks fantastic under 100% led.
Lots.of folks say in long term, sps dont do well under led lid only tank but i guess you can prove their sayings were wrong. This or your Led , i can even see coraline even growing on the sand too.
Looking at you tank makes me want to dump my ATI hybrid in the trash and to go with LED.
Looking great and thanks for shaing.
I would not throw your ATI hybrid in the trash they are proven to grow corals well. Panetta's article showed you can grow corals under almost any light. Many people grow SPS under led now long term. I have the older version of Atlantik v2.1b and kept trying to figure out a good lighting schedule then just slightly modified one of their standard programs and left it there. Stability and only doing what is needed to keep that stability is all that is needed. The coral will soon take on their colors and grow like crazy. Some of my frags seemed like they were going to do very little for about a year then they started growing like crazy and are still getting better color. The saying is nothing happens fast and don't make changes fast in this hobby. Most problems are our own doing.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ifarmer
You have no idea what I have gone through with lighting just to give me full coverage and if it failed I would go for the ATI hybrid,i have just put a radion G3 pro back on so that's 3x Orphek's and a radion which is over my corals high up and its looking pretty decent .I'm hoping that the little wolverine frag develops as its in the middle as a test piece.
thanks for the comments Bill

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ifarmer
You have no idea what I have gone through with lighting just to give me full coverage and if it failed I would go for the ATI hybrid,i have just put a radion G3 pro back on so that's 3x Orphek's and a radion which is over my corals high up and its looking pretty decent .I'm hoping that the little wolverine frag develops as its in the middle as a test piece.
thanks for the comments Bill
what size is your tank. I have 2 version2.1b over a 72"x30"x 27" Tall 10" above tank and I think I can grow lps and sps anywhere except under the rocks

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce
Its 54 x 30 x30 every tank is different depending on scape and I have no doubt your tank is brilliant.I needed more light at the back as I have corals against the back wall and with only 2 units I had shaded area,s causing die back so was looking for a uniform lighting that I had under halides and T5's its just a personal thing but like you said its about stability and I have also suffered with equipment failures causing problems. My tank is being featured in next months Ultra Marine magazine showing the filtration and warts an all its nothing special as I have only been in the hobby a few years and still learning.
Bill

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce
Its 54 x 30 x30 every tank is different depending on scape and I have no doubt your tank is brilliant.I needed more light at the back as I have corals against the back wall and with only 2 units I had shaded area,s causing die back so was looking for a uniform lighting that I had under halides and T5's its just a personal thing but like you said its about stability and I have also suffered with equipment failures causing problems. My tank is being featured in next months Ultra Marine magazine showing the filtration and warts an all its nothing special as I have only been in the hobby a few years and still learning.
Bill
I know the v2.1b does cover a little larger area 36x30. I have thought about turning my lights so they go front to back and adding a third light. Your display looks very nice better than mine. I started mine with small frags and nothing high end. I had thought about going back to metal halide with T-5 as I have a new unit still in box. But then I think about bulb replacement and having to use a chiller. It gets 120 degrees here during the summer so I almost need one with the LEDs. I have seen lots of led lit tanks. I have not been fond of the looks of just T-5 but hybrids look pretty good. I am actually glad that being on limited income made me slow to make any changes. I thought about shading issues and then I realized that happens in nature. An article I read recommended doing two rows of led lighting one toward front of tank angled toward the back and one row in the back angled forward. I may have to do more as my Corals grow. The options in this hobby are so varied and it can be done on a small budget or as much money that one can through at it. I have reached a point that I want my tank to run for years and just watch as everything grows. One of my monti caps went in as a 3/4" frag 14 months ago, nothing special about it but every couple month or so I have to break off about 2" all the way around half of it. It is about 10" across and causes shading on some other Corals. Wish you great long term success.
Bruce

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Bill
Nice tank! With the Orphek V3+ some of my sps' growth exploded, especially montis and a large frogskin acro. The spread of those lights is insane. I havent read much about the V4, but can say from experience the V3's were really good lights.
Service is indeed a concern, not sure why Orphek doesnt get it together on that level.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad pics, and temporary mounting solution, but this was right after I made the switch.

Initial thoughts it looks good, but I feel I may need a second unit.. we will see how the coral respond! Will have time to take better pics on sunday

View attachment 20170510_213921.jpg

View attachment 20170510_214017.jpg
You might have the same tank size as me, 57 gal. IMO youll need a second unit for sure so intensity can stay around 70% tops and with a second fixture for increased spread.
Not comparing fixtures, just so we can see spread of the orphek, look what a single fixture lit going full power at my 57 gal

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have the same tank size as me, 57 gal. IMO youll need a second unit for sure so intensity can stay around 70% tops and with a second fixture for increased spread.
Not comparing fixtures, just so we can see spread of the orphek, look what a single fixture lit going full power at my 57 gal

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG
Nice tank. Only one mp10 for powerhead in that 57g tank?
Thanks

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that is an MP40. I have now a Gyre 250 on it though.
How do you like the powermodule?
the powermodule was great, I loved it. However, i ended up selling the powermodule and went with the hybrid. (Because even though I quited using LED back in 2009/2010 and but I have not been able to get rid of the word LED out of my mind, so going with Hybrid would at least stop making me think of LED).

Last edited:

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the powermodule was great, I loved it. However, i ended up selling the powermodule and went with the hybrid. (Because even though I quited using LED back in 2009/2010 and but I have not been able to get rid of the word LED out of my mind, so going with Hybrid would at least stop making me think of LED).
I understand. How do you like the hybrid? That is the unit Im inclined to get for my new build. How are those ati leds?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 32 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back