Orphek Atlantik v4

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Currently i have the red sea reefer 250. it is a 36" tank, over it i have an ATI Nanobox reef hybrid (4x 39 watt t5, 6 nanobox reef v3 led arrays) Needless to say it puts off a ton of light. I cant grow sps worth ****, and the leds are never ran above 50%

With that being said, i think id like to switch fully to LED, and I think i like the orphek light, it is 24" fixture so it should cover a 36" tank fine, as for shadowing im not too concerned as again, i struggle with sps as it is so it shouldnt be too much of an issue as i will likely avoid them for the most part unless something changes.

Whats everyones experience with orphek lights? Im not finding too many reviews of them online so i wanted to ask here and see if the subject matter experts had anything to say about them?

EDIT: The main reason i want to switch is to not have to replace t5 bulbs anymore, especially if i dont actually need the led/t5 hybrid cause i cant keep sps anyways.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the main complaint is in customer service and support. Also info and specs. I personally visited the booth every day several times and couldn't get anyone to engage and talk about light.

That said I've not seen any evidence says they grow coral better than anything else to justify the price.

As far as par on your current set up(not sure you have a meter) your current rig doesnt seem to be putting out that much light with those settings.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen the exact specs on the v4, but did a side by side par comparison of the v3 with an Ocean Revive t247b and I can't justify the price difference in the Orphek. I had a v1 Orphek on a 40 breeder and was not super impressed. I know with the newer versions they've made a lot of spectrum upgrades, so they may be better now. But honestly for the price you pay and customer support you get (or don't get, depending on how you look at it), I'd look towards something else.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look towards something else.
Another +1 :)
Just don't see anything special about them but lip service to justify the price.

Saw one reefer way back that bought 4 units and Orphek was arguing with him over $10 in shipping... :confused:

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the main complaint is in customer service and support. Also info and specs. I personally visited the booth every day several times and couldn't get anyone to engage and talk about light.

That said I've not seen any evidence says they grow coral better than anything else to justify the price.

As far as par on your current set up(not sure you have a meter) your current rig doesnt seem to be putting out that much light with those settings.

I did rent a par meter at some point and if i remember right i was getting close to 230 par on the bottom of the tank with 2 blue+ 1 Coral + and 1 Purple+ with the leds at 40% intensity.

But that is good to know about Orphek and their customer service. I did place an email with them and had a response in 3 hours, i replied 2 days later (today) with some more questions and concerns about not having hardly any evidence of success by users that werent uploaded by the company or a rep. The offered me an extra $100 off the light, so the light+IoT router (required apperently) is about $800. Not far off the Mitras lx7 (the other LED im looking at) but will have a bit better spread based on the units size vs the mitras. That being Said, GHL has a much much better following so there is that.

As for price, ive already spent the $1300 on a hybrid light, so as long as i can sell it and cover the cost of switching to an LED system i guess im happy.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did rent a par meter at some point and if i remember right i was getting close to 230 par on the bottom of the tank with 2 blue+ 1 Coral + and 1 Purple+ with the leds at 40% intensity.
Thank you for that. I was wondering how you managed that beautiful clam from the research Id done on the light.

Your right about your approach though. Great spread over the tank. I was really hoping the orphek was gonna be good too. It would look great over that tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO...

If I go all led it's down to the Mitra 7's or the Giesemann Futura S.

The Giesemann would be tops but I don't know what kind of issues I'd have if the unit broke in regarding customer support with CoralVue and Germany.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO...

If I go all led it's down to the Mitra 7's or the Giesemann Futura S.

The Giesemann would be tops but I don't know what kind of issues I'd have if the unit broke in regarding customer support with CoralVue and Germany.
Never heard of the futura S. Might have to take a look. I didnt like the Giessmans verve offering that much.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that. I was wondering how you managed that beautiful clam from the research Id done on the light.

Your right about your approach though. Great spread over the tank. I was really hoping the orphek was gonna be good too. It would look great over that tank.

The clam has been doing good but i feel like she might be starving for light a little, she has had her intake open quite large (not quite gaping but enough for concern) however she is attached to a 3 inch disk (was when i got her) so i cant really put her on the rockwork anywhere.

Im going to see what the return policy and window is for the Orphek light. If it is reasonable i might pick it up with that discount and test it out for a little bit (and post some par numbers) If the return sucks i may just go with an lx7.. Im afraid though that 1 unit wont be enough and i dont want to buy 2 units

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of the futura S. Might have to take a look. I didnt like the Giessmans verve offering that much.
I'm disappointed with the Verve too.

Lol,
Are you the one with the monster clam on the other thread with Salty??????????

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm disappointed with the Verve too.

Lol,
Are you the one with the monster clam on the other thread with Salty??????????
hahah, not mine but yea I posted tham monster. Dirtriders build thread was in the feed after I responded to this. Its a sweet clam.

@Dirtrider225 looks pretty happy. At 350 your fine. 200 250 is prob good if you have a long duration.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that there is one heck of a review.
Im not scared that this wont atleast keep and grow coral, even pc lighting can do that. But if i have nothing but issues and have to have this light rma'd a bunch of times or repaired or that ****, my tank would be without a light. Granted the same thing would happen if i had a radion or something else, what store is gonna let me refund a light that is defective? So i guess its whatever. But i am leaning more towards the LX7. Just hope it provides enough coverage. Not finding it on many tanks so its tough to see what it looks like on a 36" tank as a single unit

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back