Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine :p

How long did it take to get yours from when you placed an order? GHL has them in stock and they would ship monday if i went that direction.

What do you think of the light color rendition wise and shadowing wise over the tank?(if youve hooked them up of course)

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take to get yours from when you placed an order? GHL has them in stock and they would ship monday if i went that direction.

What do you think of the light color rendition wise and shadowing wise over the tank?(if youve hooked them up of course)

I have hooked them up and I am still writing the post for my build thread.. As for first impression all i can say is wow... The amount of light that they produce is just insane.... they are also huge lol 24" long.

As for Colour rendition it looks good but I have yet to hang them properly over anything so hard to give a good review of them.

The GHL are nice but i have never considered them for my own tank as I have seen the last generation hit extremely low par in shallow tanks running at 100%. (this is anecdotal and is from a LFS that changed out all 12 or so GHL units to AI hd 52s).

As for getting your hands on them right now I think it will be quite hard as I know of only 2 more in all of Canada.. As for the USA i have no clue but know they are extremely new as mine came in the V3 boxes :p.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't hooked em up yet unfortunately, hanging kit was missing a part they are sending me (just got them yesterday). I did start programming them and everything seems top notch as you would expect.
I know this is a crazy question but I need to know...

The fixture looks like it tappers down. Wider at the top and narrower at the bottom.

Not length but width.

How wide is the bottom where the lenses are?

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a T5/LED hybrid. You'll be a lot happier and have less coral issues over the long run.
I already have t5/led hybrid. It is great but frankly I don't need it, I'm switching to mostly LPS and anemones anyways as I struggle with sps. And since I don't need it I'd like to get rid of the t5 replacement every year and lower the electricity bill a tad.

I'm not looking for an upgrade lol i just want a good led, that I know works well, and grows stuff well. I really wanted one unit that covers the tank, which is why I originally was looking at the atlantik.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a crazy question but I need to know...

The fixture looks like it tappers down. Wider at the top and narrower at the bottom.

Not length but width.

How wide is the bottom where the lenses are?

6 1/2 wide at the bottom, 7 3/4 at the top. 13"ish L.

Naka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been growing sps for over 3 years with atlantik v3 and now v4
I'm getting nice growth and colors

I believe the led trend is true uv. New Mitras also have true uv and great spread.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been growing sps for over 3 years with atlantik v3 and now v4
I'm getting nice growth and colors

I believe the led trend is true uv. New Mitras also have true uv and great spread.

Photos?

Naka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here are some iPhone pics

IMG_4198.JPG
IMG_4225.JPG
IMG_4227.JPG
IMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4228.JPG
IMG_4230.JPG
IMG_4198.JPG
IMG_4225.JPG

IMG_4198.JPG

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I went all LED I'd be looking at the Mitras or a ReefBreeders fixture. I've had the V1 Photons in the past and was very happy with them. No sps experience with them, but if you're giving up on sps for now, no worries. But, would also supply enough power for sps if you gave it another shot. IMO.

Of course I'm about to set up an all LED tank with AI Primes so....there's that. lol

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making an order tonight. Orphek was supposed to send me an invoice yesterday or the day before. (Cost is half the price as I only need one unit. I can spend more just would prefer not to if I don't have to.) If I don't have an invoice by 8pm local time I am ordering 2x mitras lx7's and their light rail system (think I would like that better than hanging from the ceiling. But attaching to the stand is gonna be a pain since it's up against a wall..)

I'm on the fence whether or not I need a second mitras, but I don't see how a 1 foot light can cover a 3 foot tank. So I will likely just bite the bullet and do it.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dirt Rider,
Let us know which one you pull the trigger on. :)

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dirt Rider,
Let us know which one you pull the trigger on. :)
Will do! Unless I get an invoice today it'll be mitras!

I am however disappointed that the mounting solution for them forces the light to be perpendicular to the front panel instead of parallel. Not sure which orientation would be best on my tank with either 1 or 2 units

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish, I could have been be a fly on the wall when he showed his wife the carpet. :eek:

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got my invoice... I wasn't expecting to get one.

$810 for one atlantik or $1500 for 2 mitras lx7's.

This whole thing started because my current light is overkill. I was hoping to switch to an led option that did the job, so I don't have to pay for t5's and all that in electricity and bulbs.

Now one atlantik will do the job plenty on my tank. One mitras will be not quite enough.

Atlantik has to be hung from the ceiling, mitras can use the ghl flex mount.

Mitras has a 2 year warranty and is backed by an awesome company, Atlantik only has a 1 year warranty and it's still up in the air if orphek is any decent.

Both will grow coral pretty amazing from what I've seen online about their previous models(not many have the v4 or the lx7 yet)

For anyone that's still following along what's the final vote?!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back