IMG_4225.JPG
IMG_4227.JPG
IMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4228.JPG
IMG_4230.JPG
IMG_4198.JPG
IMG_4225.JPG

IMG_4198.JPG

That's a lot of disco color in those pics on the sand..

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Eye!
I'm running Kessil's with T5 so I completely forgot about disco.
Why I refuse to get radion or AI. Or any of the black box leds. And I've heard KessIL is either great, or doesn't get the job done.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why I refuse to get radion or AI. Or any of the black box leds. And I've heard KessIL is either great, or doesn't get the job done.
I've ran Kessil's off an on since 2012 and there is no color disco and I love the Kessil Logic but you have to get enough units to get the right spread.

Have you seen Slief's 500 gallon build thread?
He loves Kessil's and his tank is proof in the pudding but he is totally sold on the Mitra's and has converted over to then from his Kessil's.

If one AP700 could do the job you want then I'd say pull the trigger but I just don't know.
You've got a 36" wide and I've got a 42" wide. I don't know if I'll drop my hybird and it would probability be a stupid move but if I had to go all led today then it's 2 Mitra's running parallel modded into my RS led upgrade kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran Kessil's off an on since 2012 and there is no color disco and I love the Kessil Logic but you have to get enough units to get the right spread.

Have you seen Slief's 500 gallon build thread?
He loves Kessil's and his tank is proof in the pudding but he is totally sold on the Mitra's and has converted over to then from his Kessil's.

I have seen it. It looks awesome!

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
And he's really happy with they Mitra's and I'm very impressed with GHL USA support.
It seems like their par is rather low.. based on d2minis post anyways. My tank is deeper than the fusion lagoon and at max power he wasn't getting that much

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like their par is rather low.. based on d2minis post anyways. My tank is deeper than the fusion lagoon and at max power he wasn't getting that much
I have no clue about their par but many factors come into play when measuring led par.
That AP700 is a par monster according to saltyfilmfolks.

Thle009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm here to echo what saltyfilmfolks and Govols already said. The number 1 problem with Orphek is the customer service which is none. I'm an owner of 2 V2.1b units and recently found out that my Orphek mobile app obsolete with the new Android operating system, so I can't modify or control my lights anymore. I was told my Orphek tech support that I have to get an apple device or buy one of their tablet (which is a piece of junk that came with when I purchased the lights, and by the way the Orphek mobile app on that thing suck.) But I'll spare you all the drama, the worst part in my opinion is the customer relationship that I have with the owner is not much better than with this sale person I had. I inquired about an upgrade, one would think there would be some understanding due to the nature of their company with this sale employee and my experience with the same person there would be some way to make up for it. But nothing. So with that, here are my thoughts. If I was to spend as much $$ for what Orphek is asking for, I would expect my investment to last for many more years with their support. Other wise, I'm better off spending the same amount and get something with better resale value like Radion who has been support department and wider user base so you can always ask for help from people within the reefing community. I was there, when I wanted to support a small start up business, well the relationship was only one way street. I know I wouldn't run my business that way. By the way, Saltyfilmfolks is right, I inquired about all the specs base on the company claims and I was told that they're proprietary secrets.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a shot of @Bml1024 72" wide tank with one AP700. When he gets his second unit he will have led perfection in par and spread.

ap700.JPG

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm here to echo what saltyfilmfolks and Govols already said. The number 1 problem with Orphek is the customer service which is none. I'm an owner of 2 V2.1b units and recently found out that my Orphek mobile app obsolete with the new Android operating system, so I can't modify or control my lights anymore. I was told my Orphek tech support that I have to get an apple device or buy one of their tablet (which is a piece of junk that came with when I purchased the lights, and by the way the Orphek mobile app on that thing suck.) I also learned that my sale contact went rogue and stole from the company ( which I was not surprise due to my experience during the purchase process.) But I'll spare you all the drama, the worst part in my opinion is the customer relationship that I have with the owner is not much better than with this sale person I had. I inquired about an upgrade, one would think there would be some understanding due to the nature of their company with this sale employee and my experience with the same person there would be some way to make up for it. But nothing. So with that, here are my thoughts. If I was to spend as much $$ for what Orphek is asking for, I would expect my investment to last for many more years with their support. Other wise, I'm better off spending the same amount and get something with better resale value like Radion who has been support department and wider user base so you can always ask for help from people within the reefing community. I was there, when I wanted to support a small start up business, well the relationship was only one way street. I know I wouldn't run my business that way. By the way, Saltyfilmfolks is right, I inquired about all the specs base on the company claims and I was told that they're proprietary secrets.

Thanks for the info. I don't feel safe spending that much with so little support from the company. I'll look into the ap700 a little bit but I'm pretty set on the mitras now.

Really appreciate the help everyone:)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thle009
Totally agree!
Your not just buying a product. Things happen and a customer is buying support too.
When I saw that guy buy 4 units and it came down to arguing over a $10 shipping mishap Orphek should have happily ate the $10.

I like the giesemann futura but have no idea what kind of support I'd get so I passed on it.

Kessil is like Bose Audio. They never release #'s but they give me great support and the last time I needed their guidance a Kessil engineer helped me out and he was spot on. That means a lot to me as a customer.

It seems to me that GHL USA has great support and they make sure they have happy customers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dirtrider225
Have you pulled the trigger, yet?
Tried to use PayPal credit last night (love the no interest lol) and they don't accept it (which is fine) I got an email that they are out of black units and woke up this morning to water in my basement (not reef related) so my switch is gonna have to wait until I get this sorted out. Thanks for tagging along, it'll likely be after June before I buy a light now unless I get the orphek but they still won't tell me when it will ship

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the hobby for about 35 years and had just about every kind of light out there. Like many a reefer was never quite satisfied until I bought the v3's. Been great. Able to grow SPS 35 inches below the light. That being said, I think that you will find reefers having success with most all of the top line lights out there; which tells me that whatever you buy of the lights being discussed, it will be other things that ultimately determine the level f success you have.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the hobby for about 35 years and had just about every kind of light out there. Like many a reefer was never quite satisfied until I bought the v3's. Been great. Able to grow SPS 35 inches below the light. That being said, I think that you will find reefers having success with most all of the top line lights out there; which tells me that whatever you buy of the lights being discussed, it will be other things that ultimately determine the level f success you have.
I understand that I can grow coral under any of the lights discussed so long as everything else is up to par. That wasn't my question (I mean you can grow coral under pc lighting so these are world's above that) I just wanted tof find the absolute best light for the money for my application :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that I can grow coral under any of the lights discussed so long as everything else is up to par. That wasn't my question (I mean you can grow coral under pc lighting so these are world's above that) I just wanted tof find the absolute best light for the money for my application :)
I just hope you get your basement resolved.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hope you get your basement resolved.
No kidding, looks like water is leaking in through the cement Block (that's what our basement is made of, the house is kind of older and we haven't been it a year yet) so we will see what comes of this

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back