Orphek Atlantik v4

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't wanna bash any company, that's not my intent. I really like the Orphek lights, especially for their shadow reduction for SPS keepers as opposed to puck style lighting. Unfortunately because of logistics and lack of US presence, their customer service seems to be their Achilles heel.

I am not a Radion fan at all. However, I have read that Ecotech will send you a replacement light, putting a hold on your credit card until they receive the defective one that you mail back to them. Customer service is very important when you're laying out that kind of cash for your lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concern would be if the light died, I would have to buy a separate one before they could repair the one I got if something happened. With GHL if I had to send a light back it would be in the USA, as well the water the light works (my understanding) is each puck is kind of independent, so maybe I lose one puck instead of the whole light going out. Plus I have not heard of any of the mitras lights actually failing (not to say there haven't been any, but there are more mitras users than orphek ones so percentage wise I'm choosing a safer bet.)

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
A quick update ,my V4 arrived yesterday i have installed both apps the android on a samsung tablet and apple one on my sons iphone who is 50 miles away and both work fine.I am going to remove the radions and fit the V4 tomoz.
Bill

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Be sure to post some pics when you got it up and running please! As an experienced user of the Orpheks, how do you feel about disco effect issues with the diodes being spread across the entire panel?

From what I've seen, it looks to be quite the conundrum, go with pucks and have good color blending but deal with shadowing. Go with spread out diodes and address shadowing issues but deal with discoball effect.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Be sure to post some pics when you got it up and running please! As an experienced user of the Orpheks, how do you feel about disco effect issues with the diodes being spread across the entire panel?

From what I've seen, it looks to be quite the conundrum, go with pucks and have good color blending but deal with shadowing. Go with spread out diodes and address shadowing issues but deal with discoball effect.
Thats one of my favorite things about the mitras design. It has pucks spread out throughout the fixture to try and combat both of those issues.

My lx7 should be arriving shortly! Ill make sure to post before/after pictures as well

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water dog
There is no disco effect with the Orphek, i have just done a custom program hopefully similar to the V3 let it run overnight in the conservatory and fit it in the morning. The lenses in the V4 look larger than the V3 so if the spread is greater that's what I wanted as its going middle to back on the tank. Will post pics for you tomoz if I get time. I'm happy with the unit and programming which after reading this thread was a bit off putting.
Bill

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Looking forward to it. Right now, I'm deciding between DIYing my own TEK T5 Nanobox LED hybrid unit or going all LED on a full SPS tank.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is impressive spread from that fixture @Dirtrider225 ! Very nice.
I'm extremely impressed with the color, spread and blending. The par is less than I was expecting however. I didn't have time to do a good measurement but it looks like with my current settings my upper corals in the 1.5 feet under the fixture are getting ~225-250 par

Outside of that it looks like the bottom of the tank is at about 125 for most of it and the smallest I've found was 75 par in the far corner.

I want to get a second fixture and run them both at 60% or so. And use the mounting arms instead of hanging from the ceiling so it's straight

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following. I hope they come up with a swivel for the mounting arms so you can orient the fixtures parallel as opposed to the perpendicular set up they have now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back