Orphek or halide/t5 for sps tank?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything sort of starts as a cool expensive toy... or we still have candles for lights and horses for transportation..

There are "practical" reasons for LED like 1) No more skin blistering bulbs
2) Really hate mercury
3) Save a dime of electricity (debateable but a)efficiency is exceeding current light sources b) delivery is exceeding current light sources, only catch is MH as heater vs heater plus LED)
4) Really hate lights sort of popping on, for personal or livestock reasons. Expensive add on for some old systems
5) 3 D look (hard w/ tubes but ok for point source MH's)
6) Custom spectrum look, not one (or 5) looks that manuf can change on a whim. and sort of last
7) Overall look and sometimes weight.

Are they good reasons.... ??????
All can be debated endlessly..

Need or want ...Choose..All work fine.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything sort of starts as a cool expensive toy... or we still have candles for lights and horses for transportation..

There are "practical" reasons for LED like 1) No more skin blistering bulbs
2) Really hate mercury
3) Save a dime of electricity (debateable but a)efficiency is exceeding current light sources b) delivery is exceeding current light sources, only catch is MH as heater vs heater plus LED)
4) Really hate lights sort of popping on, for personal or livestock reasons. Expensive add on for some old systems
5) 3 D look (hard w/ tubes but ok for point source MH's)
6) Custom spectrum look, not one (or 5) looks that manuf can change on a whim. and sort of last
7) Overall look and sometimes weight.

Are they good reasons.... ??????
All can be debated endlessly..

Need or want ...Choose..All work fine.

My point precisely. I’m not saying it negatively. Just pointing it out. Practical reasons to justify what someone simply wants because they think it’s fun. And that is ok. You hit the nail on the head. You only think youre refuting me.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point precisely. I’m not saying it negatively. Just pointing it out. Practical reasons to justify what someone simply wants because they think it’s fun. And that is ok. You hit the nail on the head. You only think youre refuting me.

No just liked my tone better...:)

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tones were fine... some of your rational against MH are dubious.. like who the hell is burning thenselves on their HID bulbs... or 3d look.. really? Halides have flat light?

Anyways... i didnt start this thread to be some sort of LED bashing. The "its just some new gagdet" phenom is very real weather you choose to acknowledge it or not. Dont believe me? Scroll through the classifieds and see how many G3 radions are for sale.

Anyways, no to the orpheks for me. Carry on.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halides were the new gadget at one time.. Same w/ VHO ect ect.. ;)
https://www.aquariumconcepts.net/the-history-of-marine-aquarium-lighting/

"New gadget" phenomena is certainty NOT new...tthat is my only real point.

SSDD

BTW. if you have shimmer you have shading..and I suspect nobody would argue T5's alone is "flat" lighting compared to MH/LED(the 2 only differ in degrees)

Sorry was sort of comparing all light sources..Like why LED's over pure T5ho tank..

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that only people who internet reef and look at photos would argue that. There is more than a few degrees different in how T5 and MH look in real life. Please leave the real world observations to those of us who actually reef.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 5 years you will need to change your LEDs. They degrade.
Ok, that seems about right, I will have to change out the pucks to a newer version. I love the LED technology, but M/H also have their place, an are much easier to use.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there is simply no reason for me to go to LEDs. None. Not spread, not par, and certainly not cost. I realize some people like to tune their lights and have sunset mode or whatver but i have a pair of 6' blue xho for that. I really like the orphek design but didnt realize thwir coverage was going to be so narrow for that amount of cash.
That's one of the good things about this hobby, that their are so many really good light sources for us.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that only people who internet reef and look at photos would argue that. There is more than a few degrees different in how T5 and MH look in real life. Please leave the real world observations to those of us who actually reef.
What are you babbling about.
FW/SW t5'sw and point light sources "look" the same.
Maybe it's me, maybe your reading comprehension
T5's are FLAT diffuse... MH/LED are 3d-ish in comparison.
Despite these drawbacks, metal halides remain a valuable option, particularly where very bright lighting is needed in large, deep tanks. The visual effect of halides (as point-source lamps) is also very good, creating an effect like natural sunlight, with deep shadows and glitter lines.

Tanks, garages, shopping centers.. ALL the same mostly.
More reflections/refraction going into water granted. Doesn't change the basics.
LED's may be too focused..
Big point light sources like MH are just less efficiently applied to a tank.
Good thing they got a lot of power...

Physics is physics..

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED degradation is based on design.
There is no "magic" number here..

Some degrade much faster than 5 years w/ poor thermal design.
Some drivers/power supplies die in less time. Blame the Chinese and bad caps for that mostly, or putting these near heat sources..

THAT said, mostly speculation until some more data is available..

LEDs and "fixtures" are too different animals though of course for practicality one thinks in terms of fixtures.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Tired of sci-fi reefing!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that seems about right, I will have to change out the pucks to a newer version. I love the LED technology, but M/H also have their place, an are much easier to use.
If you love LEDs then please use them for your pleasure. Nothing wrong with that. It's your system.
Edit: Yes, halides will be much easier too.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know of a ****** mh/vho setup that would kill it on your system...... wink wink....@vetteguy53081..... it's on the marketplace here for ridiculously cheap and is shipping included. I want it bad but wife thinks it'll be overkill on the prop tank I'm setting up. Would really love someone to grab this light and post progress shots of the tank with this in action. I want to see what it's fully capable of.

Ps I have absolutely zero affiliation with vetteguy53081 just in love with the light and he's literally giving it away.
It was sold this past week and new owner will see results of growth he's never dreamed of

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you love LEDs then please use them for your pleasure. Nothing wrong with that. It's your system.

I love led technology for my home. Faux Edison bulbs, faux Incandescent both made with leds, as well as outdoor floods are great. They really do last a long time and are cold to the touch even when running for
Hours. My outdoor led flood lamps are now 6 years and one month old and run for 12 hours a day.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love led technology for my home. Faux Edison bulbs, faux Incandescent both made with leds, as well as outdoor floods are great. They really do last a long time and are cold to the touch even when running for
Hours. My outdoor led flood lamps are now 6 years and one month old and run for 12 hours a day.
We all use LEDs in our houses and at work. So we actually love them too! LOL!
;Wideyed

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. you peaked my interest..what was the setup? I have a 72" geisseman spectra with two xho blue reef brite strips. Coral growth wise, if anyone says they have a better light, well, they are full of it.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. you peaked my interest..what was the setup? I have a 72" geisseman spectra with two xho blue reef brite strips. Coral growth wise, if anyone says they have a better light, well, they are full of it.
It was 4 lumenmax elite mogul pendants with vho bulbs flanking it all connected together on a frame. I’m in the planning phases of a commercial grow out facility and that would have been a great setup for one of the 8’x3’ raceways.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done par readings on aquarium reflectors and marijuana grow light reflectors. The grow fixtures have more even light distribution. Also, they are WAY sturdier. I am going to use sunlight supply blockbuster 6 reflectors on this next build.

Back