Orphek Or3 Blue+ stopped working

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding to the thread, my blue plus 150 OR3 bar stopped working today. Purchased new march 2022. Looks to be about the timeline everyone is getting from them. Probably not the most reliable units in terms of longevity.

Rabidsquirrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How to repair the diodes any instructions? My OR3 UV 120 stopped and it's about 1.5 years old.

Fairly simple. Un-solder the bad diodes. You can find them with a multimeter. From there you can either just use a piece of wire or you can replace them with a new diode from here.

One of my two OR3 bars just died, only 3 years of use. Very disappointed.

Yep, they're on my do not buy list now. It's a shame, I like the packaging, and how slim the bar is. But I only got 13 months out of one of my lights.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my two OR3 bars just died, only 3 years of use. Very disappointed.
How to repair the diodes any instructions? My OR3 UV 120 stopped and it's about 1.5 years old.
I wouldn't rule out the drivers going bad.
Unfortunately many are sort of "odd" electrical-wise and its not easy finding a substitute "exactly" like the original driver.

Since most are series/parallel strings usually only one branch fails open.

Driver for the 120..900mA is divided between 2 strands.. IF all the leds are out it is likely the driver.
Smaller models are all one strand so it doesn't apply.
As to individual leds yea just put a digital multimeter (pretty sure old analogs dont work) across the diode with the correct positive and negative. Led should glow dimly (maybe REALLY hard and not exactly safe to see w/ any true UV diodes) when set to either low ohms or diode function.
orphekbardrivers.JPG

60WDC 30-65V900mA

For the 120 one could use the Meanwell LCM-60U with some "BUTS".
Original driver goes up to 65V @900mA. Meanwell is ether 2-72 @700mA (losing 200mA) or "possibly"
900mA at 2-56V.
The voltage will go to whatever is needed to get to the set point.
You would need to measure the voltage/current to determine IF it will run "normally" at 56V.
Good thing though is you add dimming.. :)

Last edited:

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't rule out the drivers going bad.
Unfortunately many are sort of "odd" electrical-wise and its not easy finding a substitute "exactly" like the original driver.

Since most are series/parallel strings usually only one branch fails open.

Driver for the 120..900mA is divided between 2 strands.. IF all the leds are out it is likely the driver.
Smaller models are all one strand so it doesn't apply.
As to individual leds yea just put a digital multimeter (pretty sure old analogs dont work) across the diode with the correct positive and negative. Led should glow dimly (maybe REALLY hard and not exactly safe to see w/ any true UV diodes) when set to either low ohms or diode function.
orphekbardrivers.JPG

60WDC 30-65V900mA
Yeah it's hard to find. I tried one from Led supply but didn't work.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's hard to find. I tried one from Led supply but didn't work.
Hmm which one?
120 is 36 leds right?
This will be 2 strands of 18.
Roughly 18 x3.6(guesstimation of average) =64.8V and 450mA per side.

So looks like the 900mA switch wouldn't work.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLG-120H-C1050A should do it if I'm reading the cut sheet right. The A models let you adjust the current.
No.. starts at 74v .To 148v
Low end matters as well w/ some drivers

4.1v would need to be the average V(f) @525mA.

Last edited:
Back