Orphek OR3 extension cables

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found the 2 pin extension cables for the OR3 bars? Orphek does carry them if you reach out directly, but there is currently a 3-4 week wait on them.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but I'm bringing it back to life to see if any DIY'ers out there can help identify a source for the connectors on the OR3. Orphek isn't stocking these extension cables in the US, therefore when you want to order them, they have to be shipped from China with a $35 shipping fee and a very long wait. I've taken some close-up pics with measurements.

IMG_3585.jpeg

IMG_3590.jpeg

IMG_3589.jpeg

IMG_3588.jpeg

I'm going to start searching online at various electrical component suppliers to see if I can identify these, but if anyone has already done the homework out there, I'd appreciate links/pointers.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck?

These cables are definitely made in China, therefor the connectors are probably sourced from China also. I wasn't able to find an exact match using the dimensions. I gave up and ordered 3 of them directly from my Orphek sales guy. They didn't have any in the US warehouse, so they had to ship from the factory in China so it took a little over a week to get them.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered these. They should arrive in a couple days and I will update if they worked. They look to be relatively universal 2 pin outdoor led cables. Some have that notch and some do not.
Amazon link - https://a.co/d/cYjo1Oo

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how you make out. The measurements that are in the pics on Amazon look totally off, but would be interested to see if it's a match.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how you make out. The measurements that are in the pics on Amazon look totally off, but would be interested to see if it's a match.
You are right. 4mm is super tiny and I doubt that is the actual size but just to be safe I canceled the order and found one that does look identical. Even the screw caps are the same design. I now have this one arriving tomorrow -

Last edited:

KevinN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right. 4mm is super tiny and I doubt that is the actual size but just to be safe I canceled the order and found one that does look identical. Even the screw caps are the same design. I now have this one arriving tomorrow -

Did it work?

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I refuse to contact Orphek for these wires! lol

I have another set on the way. I think I am narrowing it down. I believe they are at least 18AWG wires.

KevinN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have another set on the way. I think I am narrowing it down. I believe they are at least 18AWG wires.
Bummer. How much are the oem cables from orphek?

KevinN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone checked the wiring to see if it's just a simple 3 wire cable? Might be easier to just patch in a longer piece of wire...

KevinN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved. It is a 2 wire, non shielded cable, Just splice in and shrink tube the additional length of wire.

KevinN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Problem solved. It is a 2 wire, non shielded cable, Just splice in and shrink tube the additional length of wire.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it comes down to for me as well. You can buy any 18 gauge led extension wire and just splice. I bought 3 different types and non of them were an exact match. They either had wrong thread or the male and female thread/screw cap was inversed with notches that won't fit.

Super annoying when it looked like there is a universal type but Orphek decided not to use the common one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back