Orphek OR3 poor spread... optics upgrade?

OP
OP
R

ReefingInMadrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow my reefbreeders cover my 210 well
No no, the evergrows are fine, i am talking about orphek's spread all the time. i am using them as a fill light for colour pop and night view, but the centre of the aquarium does not get properly lighted bc of the poor spread.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no, the evergrows are fine, i am talking about orphek's spread all the time. i am using them as a fill light for colour pop and night view, but the centre of the aquarium does not get properly lighted bc of the poor spread.
I get better spread with my light bars angled towards my reefscape.

20220105_205714.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReefingInMadrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Atoll i was trying to avoid modify my light stand, as everything is packed very tight... and buying those angled add-ons means i need new bars with more space between the orpheks and the evergrows to be able to angle them... But i know its probably the best term solution.

Orphek

Orphek- Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Orphek Atlantik and OR3 LED bars are built to be open with the possibility of
taking out the LENS easily. So, you can easily open Orphek OR LED bars and close them back without losing the IP67 water proof. This is Orphek’s patented technology!
You can watch how to do it in our video:

Atlantik units also have this feature.
We have been delivering this technology for many years already. Orphek’s PR156 version from 2009 already came with this versatile feature. Back then people took out the LENS to get wide spread of 48 inch /120cm. This was just a 110w light! Today our Atlantik is a 230w light fixture, so you can get much better results!
Orphek take out the Lens

52BF8EF0-F846-4458-9E86-7D984E162CE0.jpeg
AF39210B-05E3-4076-867E-B5D837F1D838.jpeg
Orphek LED 48 inch wide spread

and still you get a protaction to your ayes from light split out the tank
Orphek atlanitk second reflector

Each LEDs has 120 degrees internal High quality Lens , so there is no problem to take out the lens .

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bringing up an old thread here...
One issue with simply removing the lenses is the glass on the lights appears to be black with 'holes' for the light to pass through. With the standard lenses this isn't an issue but if you remove the lenses completely it would appear that a significant amount of the light would spread beyond the hole and hit the opaque portions of the glass. I'm not sure how getting some actual 120º lenses to replace the 90º ones would affect that.

Diffusers will always reduce your PAR somewhat. I'd be curious how well a piece of acrylic that had been sanded with high-grit sandpaper to make it frosted. (one could do this with glass, too, but it's hard to get a piece of glass that long and thin without breaking it.

Last edited:

Orphek

Orphek- Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bringing up an old thread here...
One issue with simply removing the lenses is the glass on the lights appears to be black with 'holes' for the light to pass through. With the standard lenses this isn't an issue but if you remove the lenses completely it would appear that a significant amount of the light would spread beyond the hole and hit the opaque portions of the glass. I'm not sure how getting some actual 120º lenses to replace the 90º ones would affect that.

Diffusers will always reduce your PAR somewhat. I'd be curious how well a piece of acrylic that had been sanded with high-grit sandpaper to make it frosted. (one could do this with glass, too, but it's hard to get a piece of glass that long and thin without breaking it.
If you remove the lens and the print screen of the acrylic you will get a very wide cover and the wide 8mm acrylic will protect the light from going out to the room . And focused to the tank .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back