Orphek OR3 poor spread... optics upgrade?

ReefingInMadrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

got a couple of the OR3 150 blue plus for my reeftank, but i am finding the spread to be extremely narrow. a quick search on google threw a couple of results that confirm my concerns. They are suppose to come with wide lenses but seeing my tank and what i found in these two links, that info can't be right.

Have you guys notice this? When i got mine there was no option for configuring lenses, and since they are supposed to come with wide angle lenses i didn't look anymore into it.

@Orphek I was wondering if there are any true 120º lenses available to open up the spread, even if it means dropping the par? its a shame that such a great bar misses on spread..
Thanks in advance

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I make diffusers for Radions and Hydras and will shortly have diffusers ready for Orphek Orphek Atlantic's. I may also decide to make some for O2/3 bars if there is a demand. I know there is a demand for diffusers for the Atlantic's.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How high are you mounting them?
I find that anything less than 12" creates a vary narrow range.
This was my only issue with the person who compared the xho's to the OR3. You would never mount the Orphek's that close, so it's not really apples to apples. If the OR3 had 120 degree optics, then it would be a good comparison. I removed the optics on my OR2 bars to see if it would work, but the par loss is substantial, but the color blending was awesome, it was very uniform. I do think flipping out the optics for 120's would work for those mounting them under 10". You can order the 20mm 120 lenses on Amazon, but the delivery time is a couple weeks. I found a place here in the states, but they cancelled my order when they didn't have stock of the 120's. I still may order some 120 degree optics for mine, but I might be redoing my canopy, which would raise it by a lot and the 90 degree lenses could come in handy? I like the xho's, but have never tried them. If you're mounting them close to the water, then they seem like the clear winner in that application.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInMadrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MONTANTK I run these in conjuntion with 2 Evergrow 5012 (the european equivalents to Reefbreeders photon 50-V2)

@90's reefer The height is almost 12" (exactly 11,4 inches above the water surface)..

@atoll rather than diffusers it would need to be reflectors + optics and then a diffuser, don't you think?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll rather than diffusers it would need to be reflectors + optics and then a diffuser, don't you think?
The diffuser material I use not only spread the light but mix the colours much better. It isn't anything like say what Ecotech use on Radions for instance which is more a photographic very thin diffuser material but more substantial being 3mm thick with hundreds of proper prismatic lenses and the material is much more expensive to buy.
Here are a couple of photos of mine fitted to a AI Hydra 26HD for instance.

20180709_145001.jpg
20180709_143145.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReefingInMadrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, but how would this work on indiviual chips like in this OR3 BAR?... its one led every x inches... maybe it works, but due to the fact that the LEDs are quite far from each other instead of clustering maybe another approach might be more adequate.. But for HYDRAS and G4 radions and previous gens looks like a good solution!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these as more of an add-on light. Comparable to a T5 add-on. Are these your primary lights? On Orphek tanks that run solely bars, they put multiples together to cover an entire tank. I know I’m not answering your question but just pointing out the primary use for these lights.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of optical upgrade for Orphek bars. If you really want an upgrade on the spread and can't just mount it higher, it's easier to sell it and get a reefbrites XHO instead. I did just that in my build thread couple weeks ago.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInMadrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottR Yeah they are add ons ala T5 my main lights are 2 evergrow it5012... but even more so, diffuse light is what i want from this..

@ReefBeta no reefbrites available on europe.. and the spread for my it5012 is pretty good at 12 inches..

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, but how would this work on indiviual chips like in this OR3 BAR?... its one led every x inches... maybe it works, but due to the fact that the LEDs are quite far from each other instead of clustering maybe another approach might be more adequate.. But for HYDRAS and G4 radions and previous gens looks like a good solution!
That not what I would make. I would make a full length diffuser and attach to the OR2/3 with 3 replacement longer screws with standoff spacers similar to what I have done with Radions and hydras and will be doing with the Atlantics which is proven.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

got a couple of the OR3 150 blue plus for my reeftank, but i am finding the spread to be extremely narrow. a quick search on google threw a couple of results that confirm my concerns. They are suppose to come with wide lenses but seeing my tank and what i found in these two links, that info can't be right.

Have you guys notice this? When i got mine there was no option for configuring lenses, and since they are supposed to come with wide angle lenses i didn't look anymore into it.

@Orphek I was wondering if there are any true 120º lenses available to open up the spread, even if it means dropping the par? its a shame that such a great bar misses on spread..
Thanks in advance

Native diode spread is usually 120 degrees i.e no lenses at all.

Common to just remove the lens.
Issue if course is loss of par and light spill at 12"

Fun w/ diffusers..

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ReefingInMadrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah @bobnicaragua i am thinking i will have to angle them to have one side of the spread run parallel to the glass and optimize the little spread they have that way, but even doing that, I am not sure if they will cover the width of my tank (26 inches)

Let's see if orphek have a possible solution for this. something as easy as a wider lens optic for the bars would do. @Orphek ???

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah @bobnicaragua i am thinking i will have to angle them to have one side of the spread run parallel to the glass and optimize the little spread they have that way, but even doing that, I am not sure if they will cover the width of my tank (26 inches)

Let's see if orphek have a possible solution for this. something as easy as a wider lens optic for the bars would do. @Orphek ???
I have 3 OR2 bars on the front and both sides angled slightly in. Mine are mounted closer than I want, but they work. I'm still considering ordering the 120 degree lenses for mine?
885688C0-A9CC-4DC6-A063-2F51BA18B275.jpeg

Cjorg82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People talking about 120deg lenses for the OR3 do they actually exist and where are u sourcing these please?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back