Orphek overheating!!!

gulf coast reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are we doing, Reefers?
It’s been the longest 2.5 weeks.(only the longest due to my patience lol) I finally received my @Orphek upgrade kit.
I upgraded my v4 with the icon upgrade kit. Pretty neat how you can do that. The spectrum this light puts off and serious amount of par you can achieve with the Orphek’s blow my mind.
corals look absolutely amazing under it.

one thing I’ve noticed is that after the light reaches under 30% power the cooling fans are no longer in use. If you know Orphek you know they are the only light out there that does a complete lunar phase that lasts throughout the night.

so as you can see from what I’ve said above. I’m a very happy camper. BUT there’s one issue. Once my light goes into the lunar phase and the fans kick off….my light overheats. It reached 140° and kept climbing. The app sent me a notification that the light was too hot. So I ran over and unplugged it. There’s no temp issues throughout the day because the fans are on. Has anybody else had this issue? If so what did you do. I’m starting to think I need to put the light on an outlet timer to cut it off.

F8E3D6D8-DDEF-4F9B-AE96-9501A6C5AB0E.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How are we doing, Reefers?
It’s been the longest 2.5 weeks.(only the longest due to my patience lol) I finally received my @Orphek upgrade kit.
I upgraded my v4 with the icon upgrade kit. Pretty neat how you can do that. The spectrum this light puts off and serious amount of par you can achieve with the Orphek’s blow my mind.
corals look absolutely amazing under it.

one thing I’ve noticed is that after the light reaches under 30% power the cooling fans are no longer in use. If you know Orphek you know they are the only light out there that does a complete lunar phase that lasts throughout the night.

so as you can see from what I’ve said above. I’m a very happy camper. BUT there’s one issue. Once my light goes into the lunar phase and the fans kick off….my light overheats. It reached 140° and kept climbing. The app sent me a notification that the light was too hot. So I ran over and unplugged it. There’s no temp issues throughout the day because the fans are on. Has anybody else had this issue? If so what did you do. I’m starting to think I need to put the light on an outlet timer to cut it off.

F8E3D6D8-DDEF-4F9B-AE96-9501A6C5AB0E.jpeg
All I run are Orpheks and never seen this. There are 6 connector pins on the main board- are they all connected?
I just PM'd you my contact Person for Orphek.

OP
OP
gulf coast reefer

gulf coast reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I run are Orpheks and never seen this. There are 6 connector pins on the main board- are they all connected?
I just PM'd you my contact Person for Orphek.

hey @vetteguy53081 good to see you again. Thank you for the contact info.

and yes all 6 pins are in the correct position and in place.
Same with the 4 new fans and temp probe

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do your fans stay on 24/7? Or do they cut off when switching over to lunar phase
I cant say as they are trouble free to me and I only really see them when i clean them out every 4 months. If I recall on previous tank, they were Not constant.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back