Orphek vs GNC Pro

Longatto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
setting up a new 200 gal peninsula mixed reef soon. No canopy planned. I do not have any fixture hanging options above the tank. Would like to maintain an awesome rimless look.

Wanted to get thoughts on lighting. I think i've settled on Orphek Atlantik iCon vs GNC Blue Ray Pro

Love the look of both. Sleek.

Orphek Pros: Lots of info out there. and now with the new LED OR3 LED Bar and new Osix to pair with the brand new iCon.... Moonlight options
Cons: no great peninsula mounting options

GNC Pros: Runs cool. no fans. already has an attachment to place across tank.
Cons: not a lot of info out there. also limited on colors/control
I've seen a few threads on these. but not many.

Anyone have any thoughts?

any die hard fans of one or the other?

Any ideas on Orphek Peninsula mounting options that would still maintain a sexy rimless look?

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the ability to mount on the ceiling, Orphek iCon has a nice kit for that. The power brick and cables management would be the tricky part. I have a small bulkhead in my basement above my tank so I was able to mount that equipment and have it be somewhat hidden from view.

as for moonlight, the current iCon and app allow for that. It is called “lunar cycle” within the app.

I don’t believe they are releasing a whole new app. So I would not imagine this is a new unrealized feature set for existing app users.

regardless, I love my light. It takes some time to adjust the light how you want it but there’s a few really spectacular tanks on R2R with this light that can help with light.

I have 2 OR3 bars to use as supplementary lighting and I’m waiting for a couple months for their next OSiX drop.

Attachments

• 9DC84EE1-2E6F-4036-B526-243A1D8DE618.jpeg
    9DC84EE1-2E6F-4036-B526-243A1D8DE618.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
L

Longatto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. unfortunately, with the current tank placement plan, ceilings are a no go. I really like the orpheks. they look spectacular.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 GNC pro. Personally I believe they might be better than the Orpheks in terms of coverage.
Each one has 588 LEDs and they are run at much lower current than their max. This obviously means it's gonna last you longer and you exploit more PAR per watt by having so many LEDs run at such low current.

Not to mention the fact that that they consume half the Orpheks.

Also GNC pro has no "disco ball" effect. They're basically the opposite of an AI hydra or Kessil.

I believe the Orpheks would only be a better choice if your tank was really deep, and you needed extra penetration instead of T5-like blanket coverage without hotspots.

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the Aura mount, cannot speak to its look or functionality; their website seems to indicate it can be fitted with taller arms if you wanted a higher placement. Although that is a side panel placement and I’m sure that is not the location you want mounting arms. Their tech team is very helpful and they may have some alternative options.

OP
OP
L

Longatto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 GNC pro. Personally I believe they might be better than the Orpheks in terms of coverage.
Each one has 588 LEDs and they are run at much lower current than their max. This obviously means it's gonna last you longer and you exploit more PAR per watt by having so many LEDs run at such low current.

Also GNC pro has no "disco ball" effect. They're basically the opposite of an AI hydra or Kessil.

I believe the Orpheks would only be a better choice if your tank was really deep, and you needed extra penetration instead of T5-like blanket coverage without hotspots.

1 vote for GNC Pro!

are you getting good growth? SPS or LPS? Good colors? Would you mind sharing some pics

Also, do you get a lot of light spillage outside of the tank? I wonder if orphek would get less spillage because their lenses are more focused? This would not be a deal breaker for the GNC though as I like the fact they use less energy and no fan noise. plus they already have the tank attachment for rimless

OP
OP
L

Longatto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the Aura mount, cannot speak to its look or functionality; their website seems to indicate it can be fitted with taller arms if you wanted a higher placement. Although that is a side panel placement and I’m sure that is not the location you want mounting arms. Their tech team is very helpful and they may have some alternative options.

I saw them. but they seam to be for the light bars? not sure if it could be rigged for the iCon.

I'll reach out to their tech team.

Now that I think about it, wondering if I could DIY the GNC bracket for the Orphek iCon.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

OP
OP
L

Longatto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I just discovered ATI Stratons.... look awesome. sleek. and finless.

only to then discover they're being discontinued????

uggh

anyone know anything? are they coming back with something better?

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I just discovered ATI Stratons.... look awesome. sleek. and finless.

only to then discover they're being discontinued????

uggh

anyone know anything? are they coming back with something better?
The gen 1 is no longer being made. There’s a gen 2 but it’s not available to you guys outside of Europe.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you getting good growth? SPS or LPS? Good colors? Would you mind sharing some pics
I'm in the process of rebooting my tank and it's gonna take a while as I'm adding a seahorse tank and a DIY frozen food feeder to it.

But you can see the potential of the GNC pro here.

They're particularly good if you want to have "dense" SPS as there's very little potential shadowing with the right aquascape.

Also, do you get a lot of light spillage outside of the tank? I wonder if orphek would get less spillage because their lenses are more focused? This would not be a deal breaker for the GNC though as I like the fact they use less energy and no fan noise. plus they already have the tank attachment for rimless

The rimless attachment is very elegant and sturdy. Very little light spillage with a 2ftx5ft tank.
I don't think the GNC have a "lens" per se. There's acrylic sheet with a grommet protecting the leds. But with 588 leds over a 40cmx30cm fixture you don't need a lenses to cover a 2ft area (max coverage is 90cmx70cm, but reviews indicate 80cmx60cm is a better estimate with LPS)

You can find a 3-page review here with very in-depth data. Just use google translate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Longatto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of rebooting my tank and it's gonna take a while as I'm adding a seahorse tank and a DIY frozen food feeder to it.

But you can see the potential of the GNC pro here.

They're particularly good if you want to have "dense" SPS as there's very little potential shadowing with the right aquascape.

The rimless attachment is very elegant and sturdy. Very little light spillage with a 2ftx5ft tank.
I don't think the GNC have a "lens" per se. There's acrylic sheet with a grommet protecting the leds. But with 588 leds over a 40cmx30cm fixture you don't need a lenses to cover a 2ft area (max coverage is 90cmx70cm, but reviews indicate 80cmx60cm is a better estimate with LPS)

You can find a 3-page review here with very in-depth data. Just use google translate.

Thanks for the links! very informative! great growth on the tank!

OP
OP
L

Longatto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gen 1 is no longer being made. There’s a gen 2 but it’s not available to you guys outside of Europe.

I watched your review of the new Geisman. great review! Any idea when is it coming stateside? it's getting harder and harder to decide what light put on my new tank!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What you are referring to as disco ball effect is shimmer, not disco ball. Kessil has 0 disco ball, but lots of shimmer. Orphek lights can have lots of discoballing.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched your review of the new Geisman. great review! Any idea when is it coming stateside? it's getting harder and harder to decide what light put on my new tank!
Glad you liked it. It’s the best designed light out there in my opinion :)
No, nothing definitive. I know that it’s in the works and being worked on right now so shouldn’t be too long.
I can check with them and see if there’s been any movement.

OP
OP
L

Longatto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you liked it. It’s the best designed light out there in my opinion :)
No, nothing definitive. I know that it’s in the works and being worked on right now so shouldn’t be too long.
I can check with them and see if there’s been any movement.

I got time. should receive tank in the next few weeks. but still have to purchase a few things. tank probably won't see water until summer. so I got time in case Geissman makes it stateside

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back