Other methods with a Ca Reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at setting up a large sps dominant tank, 240g, and am thinking that going other methods with a calcium reactor would probably be the best way to keep up with alk/ca demands. I've read through alot of the stickies, admittedly not all of them, but couldn't really find some definite guidelines for combining the two. I've got a geo 618 reactor and I plan on using a GHL KH Director to both monitor alk and control triton dosing, if possible.

Any input on the best way to set this all up. Do I just set the Ca Rx to provide less supplements then I need and use the triton supplements to keep my parameters stable? How do you keep up with the trace elements if a majority of the major elements are coming from the Ca reactor instead of the tritol elements?

My goal is to plan the system out in advance so that I can start the tank off Triton and not worry about converting later down the line.

lenmoore3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the KH Guardian alkalinity tester hooked to Apex. I use a good quality Ca reactor and have supplemental dosing of soda ash thru APEX which is rarely needed. I was not having issues with my Ca reactor, and I am glad I did not change to dosing. I love the KH Guardian (the cheeper one $699) without the doser. APEX promises their Triton analyzer by spring 2018, but I would be surprised if they make it by then or maybe never, too many complex moving parts for APEX builders and for the typical user.

As for Triton, if your tank is doing ok, which mine is, I just do corrections for the elements which are out, no core stuff. I believe the results are the same. The core stuff will cost you and tie you to Triton, the testing and adjustments do too, but not as tightly.

The full Triton method might be better (pricey though) for a new build. But for me, from where I am now, I will settle for back end chemistry adjustments only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the KH Guardian alkalinity tester hooked to Apex. I use a good quality Ca reactor and have supplemental dosing of soda ash thru APEX which is rarely needed. I was not having issues with my Ca reactor, and I am glad I did not change to dosing. I love the KH Guardian (the cheeper one $699) without the doser. APEX promises their Triton analyzer by spring 2018, but I would be surprised if they make it by then or maybe never, too many complex moving parts for APEX builders and for the typical user.

As for Triton, if your tank is doing ok, which mine is, I just do corrections for the elements which are out, no core stuff. I believe the results are the same. The core stuff will cost you and tie you to Triton, the testing and adjustments do too, but not as tightly.

The full Triton method might be better (pricey though) for a new build. But for me, from where I am now, I will settle for back end chemistry adjustments only.

Thanks for the input, definitely sounds like a solid route to go. What media do you run in your ca reactor and do you add mg to it? Also, what do you do for nutrient export? And from how i understand it you just get ICP test every so often and build a individual trace regiment based on those results?

lenmoore3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is Two Little Fishies (it is highly recommended reef rubble) and I add 5% mag. Triton shows my mag still slightly low though. For nutrient export I have a refugium with Cheto, and I carbon dose with biopelets. Also I have a large external skimmer and Rollermat (no filter socks) and do 1% water changes daily (automated). Perhaps I doth protest too much. I Triton test every 3 months.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back