Other options besides quarantine

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do not have space for a quarantine tank. I am looking for other proven options. I have a UV starilzer. I have read about fresh water dipping and other methods with buckets. I really don't think they are realistic. They both seem like they would stress the fish. Looking for others experience.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, there really isn't a substitute for a QT. UV sterilizers may reduce some of the parasite load, but they will never kill everything. Freshwater dips can provide temporary relief for some (not all) parasites, but are not a cure in and of themselves.

A QT does not need to be complicated. A 10 gallon tank tucked away in a corner or closet can serve as a perfectly good QT.

Recommend reading the sticky on quarantine over in the Disease Forum: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you need to qt when you initially stock? Or is this when I add fish to a system that has several fish and coral?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you need to qt when you initially stock? Or is this when I add fish to a system that has several fish and coral?
All of the inhabitants should be re quarantined and treated. The other option is "ich management" and hope velvet stays out or a stronger strain of ich. This usually leads to the dead fish and empty wallet option for most hobbyists.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I guess I'm still at a loss. So everyone has a quarantine tank? I find this hard to believe. Especially for new people. I understand after you have hundreds in the tank.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have hundreds into the tank before you know it.

I didn't have a QT - and then I got ich. The kind where _any_ new fish would die within a few days of introduction.

Set up a 40B QT, went fallow . . . so far, so good, but it cost me more in dollars and heartache than I care to think about.

~Bruce

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I didn't have one and almost lost all my fish. So I highly recommend one it's really not that bad esp knowing that my fish are as healthy as can be

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did ich management for years before velvet took over the industry and stronger strains of ich became more prevalent. I still lost some fish. It cost me a lot of money...

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what about a medicated dip option. Where I put the fish in a bucket with medication, heater and air stone for a some amount of time before adding them. I have read a little about it. Some people also recommend fresh water dipping too.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also buying my fish from world wide coral. And i know they get them from a reputable suppler. (Sustainable aquatics I think)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no dip that will have any significant impact on any of the most lethal of diseases and any supplier can potentially ship an infected fish. Just reality.

Unfortunately there's just no good alternative to proper QT. Many choose not to. A few are fortunate and successful, most aren't. The best word I've heard on the subject was, "Not using QT is like playing Russian Roulette. The end is always the same but some people get to play the game longer than others".

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I guess I'm still at a loss. So everyone has a quarantine tank? I find this hard to believe. Especially for new people. I understand after you have hundreds in the tank.
Nope, have not ever had a qt. Buy most of my fish from @WWC and have not had an issue.

Defiant Arms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try to add to the question.. If one vets the LFS sees good practices and the LFS qt's all new fish before display/sale, also this LFS is who you get to do monthly maint on tank and get your supplies from is there a need for a second QT when you buy the fish?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last 3 fish from Diver's Den have been sick. If you buy from good sources you'll increase your odds of buying a healthy fish, but it doesn't mean you won't get an ill/infected one. YET, a simple QT without implementing treatments doesn't guarantee you'll put a healthy fish into your display either... but the odds are better.

I'm on Team QT. Go Team!
th_thcheer2.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so lets say I do get a QT 10G tank. I think I should want it medicated. what is the process then?

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so lets say I do get a QT 10G tank. I think I should want it medicated. what is the process then?

Give this a read: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

It's pretty straightforward. The big diseases you want to avoid are Ich and Marine Velvet. Copper or chloroquine phosphate are the cures for that.

A simple QT process would be:

-Contact the retailer for your fish to determine the temp/salinity/ph of their tanks and match your QT before you receive the fish.
-Pre-dose the QT with chloroquine phosphate at the recommended rate.
-FW dip the fish as soon as you receive them
-Put them into the treated QT for the 3 week period.
-Move them to the DT.

There's other medications that might be required (and some say are a must) like Prazipro for deworming/flukes. Generally they are very gentle on the fish but read up on them before hand. Some meds can't be combined.

The QT process does a couple of things. Firstly, it helps guarantee that your system is free of disease. Secondly, it lets you spend a lot of personal time with the fish in an isolated environment. You can observe it closely to get used to its behavior, the fish gets used to you and also has 3 weeks to get used to the food you give it before going into the competitive feeding environment of a larger tank.

Best of luck!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While a lot of people do not QT and do not seem to have issues, going that route is a lot like playing Russian roulette. You might get lucky for quite a while, and if you are only planning on a handful of fish (and stick that that plan) you might stop playing the game while luck is still on your side. But if you play the game long enough, you're going to lose, and that loss is often quite costly.

QT'ing is easy, and it can (and eventually will) save you a lot of time, money, and frustration.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, not everyone. I have not quarantined in probably 35 years because I keep my fish immune. But it sounds like you don't have too much experience so it would probably be best if you quarantined for now.
It is not as easy as just throwing fish into your tank and hoping for the best. That will never work which is the reason for all the ich threads.

Defiant Arms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres obviously no replacement for QT but if one wasn't going to QT because they felt comfortable with local shops product and methods would you suggest anything marathon a fresh water dip? such as safety stop?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back