OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning .
If you’re able to catch him , maybe add him to solitary confinement ( sump ) until you’re able to deliver to the lfs .

enjoy your road trip .
I was actually saying to my wife , it would be nice to take a long road trip to the USA ( we’re in Ontario Canada )
thinking of the west coast .. San Francisco sounds nice . But open to suggestions.
Yeah thats what I am thinking! I have a breeder box, but its a bit small. I think I would be okay with him being in there for a day, but not much more. Also, I have no cover in my sump... would be nervous if he wanted to FLY!!

Road trips are great if youre able to!

Do you like state parks? Camping?!

If so:

1649946521112.png

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what I am thinking! I have a breeder box, but its a bit small. I think I would be okay with him being in there for a day, but not much more. Also, I have no cover in my sump... would be nervous if he wanted to FLY!!

Road trips are great if youre able to!

Do you like state parks? Camping?!

If so:

1649946521112.png
Parks are nice . When the weather permits .
sadly here . We only have a few months per year where it’s nice enough to camp .
I’m not set on having to be the west coast .
move never been outside Canada .
San Fran just looks nice lol

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know if you have copepod population? I have had a tank for years and its very established. Never thought about a mandarin. But would be cool to have!
As @Dani305 mentioned, I do the same: watch for them on the glass. I don't know what species I have, but I have populations surviving in rocks and sponge filters from my 75g FOWLR that are easy to seed into other tanks.

Right now, I have a 10g quarantine tank on my desk at work that has a significant population of copepods thriving on the glass (zoom in and note all the tiny spots on the front glass, which are copepods):
1649950998081.png

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends... been a minute.

We have still not caught the dang fish. I mean, we have been a bit lazy about it... I really hope that we can get to that!! I hope the dude will still take his butt back.lol

Anyways tank is running good. Definitely have some cyano outbreak!!! Stressing me out.

I havent tested my water, but I will be doing that tonight or tomorrow.

Anyways... were getting a top made so we have no more jumping casualties... so I decided its time to upgrade the lights!

I have decided on two of these:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hydra-32-hd-led-reef-light-black-aqua-illumination.html

They are having a little sale, so thats great for me!

There goes $785! Since we plan on upgrading in the next year or two I think this is a good fit.

I should be getting them next week. Excited to have better lighting and also the tech as far as app!

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So went to the LFS and got my water tested while there. My alk / calcium was a bit low. So dosed this morning for both. Will re dose as instructed on Wednesday.

I brought home a few things (of course)

a longnose hawkfish
a porcelain crab
a rock anemone
a cleaner shrimp

I didnt take a pic of the porcelain crab. So I hope he will pop up soon!

Heres the longnose at the LFS.

IMG_6395.jpg

Acclimating

IMG_6396.jpg

Found a nice spot to check out the tank

IMG_6406.jpg

Hanging out with Benny the Barnacle Blenny Boy

IMG_643445454.jpg

The rock anemone

IMG_6419.jpg

Rock anemone with my carpet :)

IMG_6421.jpg

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so now on to my problems...

We moved my Palythora about 2 weeks ago, when we changed rock scape, and what used to be always open, closed. Getting some white dots on it? Not sure if its dying now? Or if its just unhappy?

As I mentioned, not sure why its not doing well? Could it be the cyano???

IMG_6435.jpg

Also, I dont know what this coral is... but it was all bright and green and I feel like its slowly dying :(

The cyano is on and around it and I try to brush it off but its a hard coral so it gets stuck in the ridges.

Any help??

IMG_6434.jpg

My acan looks about the same, like its slowly perishing, but I think thats because the dang dragon wrasse was picking it up and throwing it wherever.

I guess I will make specific posts about the other corals when I have exact parameters. I didnt take a photo of the one at the LFS like I usually do.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank view this morning after a window cleaning.

I tried to brush off the cyano, but I know it just going to come back. Looks okay for now. Im just gonna bite the bullet and buy some chemiclean.

I have two power heads, and a gyre, I dont think thats my issue? We think the return pump is acting up so I went and ordered a Sicce 3.0.

Maybe all that will do it.

I have to read about the chemiclean though... Im not sure if I can run my reactor with it? Im unsure if I have to remove all the carbon media out of it? hmm.

IMG-6426.jpg

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also not really happy with the rock scape as it is. I really regret telling my bf to shuffle it around. Mainly because my RBTA is now not in view :( but also because I dont think it looks good.

I think Im just a bit sad about the tank right now in general. Trying to get it together!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as algae goes , I think your tank is still going through the uglies and unfortunately it does affect coral. To combat this I would be buying more hermits / snails to hopefully eat algae off corals. I’ve learned nems go where they please, you could move him again only for it to go to the exact same spot lol , maybe just let it be and continue to monitor parameters / let your tank become more mature. I’ve moved my purple LTA like 5 times to the center and it has moved every time back to this spot on the side I’ve given up on moving it

Attachments

• 4CED7C6D-ACEC-4BEE-8E16-B58CD7EE2C3D.jpeg
    4CED7C6D-ACEC-4BEE-8E16-B58CD7EE2C3D.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as algae goes , I think your tank is still going through the uglies and unfortunately it does affect coral. To combat this I would be buying more hermits / snails to hopefully eat algae off corals. I’ve learned nems go where they please, you could move him again only for it to go to the exact same spot lol , maybe just let it be and continue to monitor parameters / let your tank become more mature. I’ve moved my purple LTA like 5 times to the center and it has moved every time back to this spot on the side I’ve given up on moving it

I have so many hermits and snails! Im guessing like 40 of each? Maybe some / most have died. Gonna get myself some more tomorrow. Cant hurt!

I think we got so lucky that the RBTA liked the spot we put it in, and didnt stray from that area at all. Then I had to get crazy and move the rocks and now it hates me! LOL jk of course. I will not be moving, just watching parameters, and blowing cyano off, and changing socks more often!

I really hope my new lights, plus new pump will help.

Thank you for your kind words. I know the uglies is a thing.

On a happy note... the pink goni is doing good. lol

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me I went through the uglies to and it felt like I would never get over it lol but somehow I did , now algae doesn’t even grow in my display only the refugium. I have no expierence on cyano but I kno it’s a bacteria , maybe dosing more bacteria would help combat? Another option is to add some macro algae to the display and it can outcompete algae/ increase o2 which cyano doesn’t really like

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me I went through the uglies to and it felt like I would never get over it lol but somehow I did , now algae doesn’t even grow in my display only the refugium. I have no expierence on cyano but I kno it’s a bacteria , maybe dosing more bacteria would help combat? Another option is to add some macro algae to the display and it can outcompete algae/ increase o2 which cyano doesn’t really like
Speaking of macro algae, my chaeto is living its best life! Im so happy with my sump LOL. I put a small fan down there and it just tumbled so beautifully. Its very happy and no extra slime! I will take our advice, and find some to put in my DT. Cheaper than the others that are dying. lol

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back