Our Reefing Addiction

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank #9 is up and running!
IMG_0762.jpeg

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks like we are knee deep into the new "normal" I run a home repair business and with the shelter in place order, there are little to no repairs to be made. As I prioritize my life going forward, I am coming to the conclusion that 9 fish tanks running is a bit much. I have slowed down on water changes and feedings to lower the cost of running my systems. I have also started selling off some of my corals to reduce the amount of demand on the water. At some point in the near future I would like to shut down 1 or more reefs.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that after 3 weeks of decreased feedings and a huge cut back on water changes, the reefs actually look better than before. I changed 5 gallons in the SPS system yesterday and added Red Sea trace elements. The remaining reefs have had no water change in 3 weeks.
Cheers! Mark

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 tanks? Holy cow Mark! What is your average PG&E bill? FWIW I'm told anything home building/maintenance related is considered "essential". I know that doesn't make the phone ring though.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 tanks? Holy cow Mark! What is your average PG&E bill? FWIW I'm told anything home building/maintenance related is considered "essential". I know that doesn't make the phone ring though.
PGE is about $400. & yea it doesnt help the phone ring. But with everyone home, stuff should be breaking in record numbers very soon.
Cheers! Mark

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm.

At any rate that is great growth.
Hope you get to keep all 9 tanks, you have obviously have the magic touch.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is truly a test of a persons patience. I paid $200 for a small frag of Homewrecker about 14 months ago. It slowly turned white and was in a coma like state. I was told by the seller that he would replace it if it didnt start to get any color/grow. After a couple more months, I tried to get a replacement only to be told the mother colony died and I was gettin' nothing :-( Well after a couple more months of a white acro on a plug, I got a little upset. I grabbed a pair of pliers and shattered the coral into 4 pieces. I'll be danged they all started to color up and grow. I sold 3 of them and kept the 4th. It is on the left. It lost the white, fully encrusted the disc, and is starting to get axial coralites. Only took 14 months and shattering with a pair of pliers.
thumbnail.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back