Outdoor pod breeding station.

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you keep it covered to keep bugs like mosquitos out? I asked this of the OP as well. Where I am in Canada if containers like this aren't kept covered they become mosquito breeding grounds during the summer. I would like to try something like this because I have no more room in my house and I don't have a garage but bug (mainly mosquitos) would be my biggest concern. At the same time using the lids that come with these tires would probably roast the culture so maybe mosquito netting would work. I'm envious of folks like you and the OP that can keep serving like this going all year long. Where I am I would probably be able to do this until November the I would have to stop and do a smaller setup indoors.

Edit: I was just reminded mosquitos don't breed in saltwater so my question is did you find problems of bugs getting into the cultures if they're not covered?
Did you try this setup? I'm in Toronto as well and was wondering if anyone local had tried. I started an indoor culture this way in a 2.5Gallon tank but I am lazy and think this would be ideal.

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m in Southern California and I just made this out door pod station.

The 3/8 tubing you see on the right is drain water that is pumped from my main display using a dual head Stenner pump.

Water drains on the left and down to the grass.

I added a sieve to prevent the pods from falling out.

I also used this tub of water to let rock or tiles and frag plugs leech whatever it needs to leech and it gets removed through water changes. I could also cure rock in here, which is what’s happening along with growing pods.

I culture my own phyto (nanno and iso), so I just dump a bottle in each time I harvest.

I also add spiralina flakes.

Hope they do well outdoors.

I also have an indoor station as a back up.
DCEBB617-DDF0-4624-8677-A7D5B0DABE07.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tempted to try this.. if people are worried about mosquitoes, why not make the top with a mosquito net?

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm tempted to try this.. if people are worried about mosquitoes, why not make the top with a mosquito net?
I think it was discussed that mosquitos can not breed in saltwater. I'm not sure.

Also I have a lid.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back