OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on doing this, and even found the exact same rectangular containers that the OP had... found them at Staples.

I have (2) bins like the OP has. I have (2) bottles of tigger pods on the way, which should be here tomorrow.

Can I simply add the banana peel and the pods to some used tank water and call it good? or does the banana peel need time to break down in the saltwater before adding the pods?

I also have some phyto feast (dead phyto) and some live phyto, when do I add phyto to the container?

Unless I'm told differently, I plan on adding a few drops of phyto feast, a few drops of live phyto, the banana peel, and the bottle of pods to the container of my used tank water... I will do this to both containers and try to maintain two cultures in case one crashes.

I guess I'm not clear if the culture needs time to "marinate" before adding the pods, or if it can all be added on day 1 ?
Your water needs to go green before adding the starter culture of pods. You can add some live phyto and a little plant food to help establish the green culture water. If you start with live phyto only add about a 3" piece of banana skin then remove it once your water colours up. Your pods need plenty of food and warm old tank water to breed prolifically.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Rubbermaid tote outside. It started breeding mosquitos. I took it inside two days ago. We have 3 confirmed West Nile virus in my area.
Mosquitos don't breed in saltwater or at least they don't in the UK and many other countries. Are you sure your water is salty enough?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to atoll again, mine has been brewing a week or two now and weather has been really hot in UK, as advised I'm going to wait for algae to go more greenish and temp to drop abit before adding pods :)
In regards to debris I have used an old pushchair rain cover I had lying around however there is still some debris floating which can be removed as it floats on surface
Not sure covering the container helps as you need air to get at it. I don't bother covering my cultures up.
How much direct sunshine are you providing? My cultures get plenty from late afternoon probably from around 4pm. Might be an idea to add a little nitrate based plant fertiliser to speed up the green water.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water needs to go green before adding the starter culture of pods. You can add some live phyto and a little plant food to help establish the green culture water. If you start with live phyto only add about a 3" piece of banana skin then remove it once your water colours up. Your pods need plenty of food and warm old tank water to breed prolifically.

Well I didn't time buying my pods right then... they showed up today, so I went ahead and filled my bin with used tank water. added a few drops of phyto feast (dead) and maybe 10ml of live phyto, and a small 1 inch by 2 inch piece of banana peel. Stirred it up and then dumped in my tigger pods. The water has a slight green tint to it, but I'm not sure how much phyto I should be adding. Hoping for the best. I ended up only adding one bottle of the tigger pods. I stuck the other bottle of tigger pods in my fridge for a few days. I'll add it in a few days in case the original pods don't make it for some reason... maybe by then the culture will be more suitable for them.

my bin is behind my shed. will be partially shaded there.
fingers crossed.

Too much phyto? Not enough?
Let it ride?? Lol.
20220623_193401.jpg

20220623_193416.jpg

20220623_193444.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I didn't time buying my pods right then... they showed up today, so I went ahead and filled my bin with used tank water. added a few drops of phyto feast (dead) and maybe 10ml of live phyto, and a small 1 inch by 2 inch piece of banana peel. Stirred it up and then dumped in my tigger pods. The water has a slight green tint to it, but I'm not sure how much phyto I should be adding. Hoping for the best. I ended up only adding one bottle of the tigger pods. I stuck the other bottle of tigger pods in my fridge for a few days. I'll add it in a few days in case the original pods don't make it for some reason... maybe by then the culture will be more suitable for them.

my bin is behind my shed. will be partially shaded there.
fingers crossed.

Too much phyto? Not enough?
Let it ride?? Lol.
20220623_193401.jpg

20220623_193416.jpg

20220623_193444.jpg
I hear you could boil the banana skin in some water to break it down. Let it cool then add to your culture, never tried it myself as I never had the need.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what my pods are to be honest. They are redish and the size of a small pin prick bought in a small poly packet the LFSs here in the UK keep in their fridge. Anybody know, tiger pods perhaps Tigriopus Californicus?
Tigriopus_zoomed_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything nitrate based should be fine or perhaps better still a liquid fertiliser containing seaweed seems to work well.
I’ve been using some f/2 but the wife has masses of blood fish and bone, dunno if that will work.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using some f/2 but the wife has masses of blood fish and bone, dunno if that will work.
With the plant fertiliser you don't need to dose a lot, just a little now and again I have found. Can't comment on blood and bone as never used it and I doubt I would do.

FourPawz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to do this in a salt bucket in a spare room. Couldn't be easier. I need to get a net for this, what size mesh is recommended?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think make this successful compared to the traditional method? Is the size of the container or the colder water temperatures? I want to replicate it but indoor, as I have no garden/balcony. Not sure if it works though, I tried with 2g jars and somehow they don't last long there. I fed them fresh nanno and kept some airline. My guess would be that with smaller containers it's much easier to overfeed or kill them with the remaining F/2 from the phyto.
In case I think I would need some light for growing the photosynthetic stuff inside?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back